Saturday, July 13, 2013

Distracted

Grandma (Thatcher) hasn't been doing well lately.  A few months ago she was having health issues that landed her in the hospital for a week or so.  It was a mess.  They couldn't figure out just what was the matter.  It seemed like every time I called, it could possibly be something different.  But every since she has been home, she hasn't been off of oxygen.  This has been worrying me because that means she can't get out of the house and, of course, that can't be a good sign if she can't get off oxygen.

But if I had to describe my grandma, the first thing that would come out is that she is very positive when it comes to her health.  I can remember when she was first diagnosed with Diabetes and my family would tell me that her feet were swelling or that she seemed tired, but when I would talk to her (over the phone; we were in Rexburg) she would be just fine.  Even when she started dialysis, she would have to travel to Miami, OK  (about 45 minutes from Jay) 3 days a week and would still be working at the bank!  She was supposed to be retired but she kept working and all was well, according to her.  Then she had to quit and she got her kidney transplant.  For years she did so well.  Finally feeling healthy.  But a few month ago the hospital ordeal happened and she hasn't been the same since.  But I bring all this up because I talked to her last week and, as usual, even though she couldn't get off oxygen, she was "just fine."  The only indication that told me that she might be worried was when she said to keep praying for her.

Grandpa texted me a few days ago to tell me that he was worried about her.  Now she is in the hospital in Grove.  I think Grandpa knew.  I wonder if you love someone and are around someone long enough, if you just know...

They though she had a stroke because she wasn't speaking clearly and couldn't move.  The hospital sedated her yesterday, brought her blood pressure up and have done tests.  She didn't have a stroke but has pneumonia.  When they tried to wake her, her heart raced.  They are waiting on other tests and so now it is a waiting game.  I hate waiting games...

So I have tried really hard to keep myself busy.  When I don't, I cry.  So yesterday the boys and I went to different places all day.  But there came a time when I was glad to get Daddy, Levi, and Brigham out of the house so I could just "be" for a bit (I didn't have to worry about Hyrum paying attention.  He was sucked into the Wii).  But when just "being" was to much, Niki called.  It was a wonderful distraction.  But on to some happy news!  The boys went camping!
 And there was some excitement.  Apparently we are in a burn ban!  Ha!
A firetruck and LUCKILY no fines later, they were off to bed.  But I guess they had a blast with their smores (before the fire was put out by officials :) and playing baseball in the dark.

Today is Brigham's birthday so I am distracted once again.  Happy 9th birthday, big boy!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Stil praying for your grandma!!! Miss you so much. Love that you had a fire with a burn ban-hahahaha!!!