Friday, May 9, 2014

A little something about me...

A fact about Alisa Adams...

I love to read about near death experiences.  I'm actually quite fascinated with them.  I have read many books on them and even a documentary on it.  I don't care if they are LDS or from other faiths; I just love reading about it.  
 
Every book has its own story but one thing that I have found to ring true in every one that I have read is how very important love is.  Most of us have heard, "Love your neighbor" all our lives but until I have read these books, I don't think I really got what that commandment meant.  

Hannah has been doing the Beck side of our family history.  I love her so much for this!  I am not a computer person but when I am not at the school with the boys, I can do the physical part of the temple work that my ancestors are waiting for.  

So, yesterday I was at the Bountiful temple with Tricia and asked if she would be proxy for my Great Grandma Niedert (Lola Mae Bunce).  While she did her name, I would do my Great, Great Grandma Beck (Christine Christensen).  So here comes in the near death stuff and loving others.

My Grandpa Beck (Larry) has written down his story for me.  All you ever know about someone sometimes is just what you see or experience yourself.  Until a few years ago, that was me with my Grandpa Beck.  But once he wrote some of his life experiences down for me, I got to know him in a different light.  Through his eyes, I guess you could say.  I remember Grandma Niedert growing up.  I remember thinking she was the sweetest old lady.  I had no idea that this sweet lady had given up my Grandpa Beck and his sister (Donna) to be raised by her mother-in-law (Christine).  Not until my Grandpa was a teenager, did his mother come back in his life.  I can't even imagine the heartache that must have caused my Grandpa.

But I have thought a lot about Great, Great Grandma Beck lately.  Maybe its because I have her rocking chair and see it every day.  But maybe it is because her work needs to be done for her.

So Tricia and I were proxy for these ladies yesterday because I wanted them to be together.  I couldn't help but wonder if Christine has a special place in Lola's heart because she raised her children for her so long ago.

But I also thought selfishly about how I hoped it would benefit me.  I read in a book (Visions of Glory) of a man's, Spencer, journey to the other side.  Spencer believed he was shown that most of our blessings in this life are given through our righteous dead.  He said, "When we pray for a great blessing, need, or healing, Jesus Christ sends our righteous progenitors as ministering angels to deliver the blessing."  

I sure could use those blessings!  And maybe I can return the favor.  Spencer goes on to say, "Deceased family are watching and waiting and guiding us into fulfilling our righteous mortal duties so that we can return and teach and bless them."

No comments: