Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

We did our usual cemetery trip to find little ones whose graves are not decorated.  There is a cemetery not to far from where we live.  It was nicely decorated with flags on all the servicemen graves.  I was going to wait to give the boys a lesson on Memorial Day during FHE tonight but once we got out of the car and saw all those flags, I thought it was perfect time right then to make sure they knew what we were really remembering today.  David and I both feel it not necessary to have the formal FHE when it can be done more simply.  In fact, on Sunday, David and I were laying on the couch while the boys were making farting noises with their mouths on arms and legs.  They just giggled and giggled and as obnoxious as some would find it, it was so fun to listen to them have so much fun with something so simple.  David said to me, "This is a  REAL family home evening."

So I asked questions and they pretty much remembered what today is really about.  I went into more detail this year, though, with the holiday's history.  This is the part I love about parenthood.  It has made me learn important things.  Now our whole family knows that Memorial Day was once called Decoration Day before President Nixon officially made it a holiday.  Decoration Day started very simply in Waterloo, New York by a man who wanted to honor the dead after the Civil War.  He encouraged other business owners to shut down their shops long enough to decorate the graves of the fallen soldiers.  This simple act led to this great day that we now remember all those who have and still are serving this country, as well as most of us not working and getting to have family time.  I guess it some ways, it is sad that a lot of us don't know that this holiday isn't about an extra long weekend, but I do love that this holiday has led to a lot of family time since most of us don't have to work or go to school on this day.


Afterwards we went to In-Shape (health club) to enjoy the pool.  It was pretty cold outside with the wind but the kids didn't care, of course.

A wonderful day filled with thinking of those I know who have served and some who are still serving in our Militaries as well as remembering those I miss, that have passed on.

No comments: