Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Friendly" Parents

I have been thinking a lot about my parents lately.  I think it started a few days ago.  We had just gotten back from somewhere, when Dushan followed us into our house.  He wanted a snack.  I let him have one and then he left.  David said to me, "That is one thing that I am very grateful you got from your family.  You will never hear me complain about how you always let the neighborhood kids come in."

It was such a wonderful thing for me to hear.  It felt good to be recognized in that I let a lot of kids come in our home, I guess because sometimes I wonder about the good I am doing.  Staying home can sometimes make you forget all that you are really doing in the Lord's work of taking care of His children.  And when you are one of the few parents around who stay home, you naturally start to look after other kids while you are outside with your own kids.  

But even more so, it felt so good to be compared to this aspect of how my parents raised me.  

All of my friends loved my parents, especially my Dad.  It is obvious to me why.  He is such a kid at heart and he loved to tease my friends just as much as they did him.  (To this day, Valerie still calls my Dad, "The Milk Man" or "The Jolly Green Giant" because when working at Little Debbies, there are certain colors you have to wear and that means both pants and shirt.  I guess his all white and all green days really stood out!) But I think it was more than that.  So many of my friends came from one parent homes.  I don't think I was necessarily extremely popular, I just think they gravitated to my home because it was a safe place and where they could actually see an involved father in the family unit.  My Mom has always been an "once she gets home, she stays home" type after work so she liked her alone time but I never once remember her turning away my friends.  I think that says so much because I know that when I want to be alone, well, I want to be alone!

So David's comment made me so grateful for parents who showed me how to love others who are not blood related.  My friends have always been so very important to me and I think my parents showed me the way to that type of love for my friends.

Then, a couple of days later, I went to go visiting teaching.  Each month has a certain topic to teach the women, but because last month was conference, I got to choose whatever I wanted to.  I don't think it a coincidence that I came across a talk given by Elder Scott.  He said, "As you center your home on the Savior, it will naturally become a refuge not only to your own family but also to friends who live in more difficult circumstances.  They will be drawn to the serenity they feel there.  Welcome such friends into your home.  They will blossom in that Christ-centered environment.  Become friends with your children's friends.  Be a worthy example to them."

By the time I graduated from High School, 4 of my friends were baptized into the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know I was a good example but I can't help but wonder if it was more that my parents helped in giving what my friends needed.  Love.  Follow that up with the Spirit and it will lead to great things.  I am so grateful I witnessed that growing up.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I love this post, mainly because I know that is how Ronald feels about the home you both grew up in. We both have expressed that we want to have a home like this too. Thank you for being the leader and example of this (because we are just starting ours).

The Bass Family Pond said...

Hi Alisa, love this post too. It reminded me of the early days when the kids were in jr. high and high school. a lot of the kids friends wanted to come to our home, some called me Mom. I think you're right, it's a safe haven for them as well as our own. too many just don't have the love in the family that they need and want. So good for you for being there for the kiddo's. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is just filled with Love Huh! And others see and fill it when they are in our homes. ")