Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

I usually ponder on this day much more than I did this year. I think a lot about our soldiers both now and past. But as I'm finishing up the day and writing on here about tonight I'm realizing that I wasn't as "in tuned" with the day as I usually am on the 4th of July. I hope I am not like that next year and remember my many blessings because of those soldiers. I did have a good experience at church, though, with a girl whose Dad is leaving for Afghanistan in a few months. Jasia Liftee is this sweet teenager in our branch that is always coming up to me and giving me hugs. I'm not sure I deserve all the attention she gives me but she loves me all the same. She came up to me today after sacrament with just a hint of tears in her eyes and gave me the usual sweet Jasia hug. I held on tight this time, though and asked how she was doing and when her Dad was leaving. Asking her that made me think of the possibility of losing her Dad and instantly I was so thankful for her and her family and what they will be sacrificing and what they already have in years past. And I am so grateful that David is here with me. I know it is selfish. But it's true. I'm so grateful.

2 comments:

Apeeee said...

Wow, so many things...first, I too am selfish and am so glad that the man that I love is here with me always! Second, I had the same experience with the Liftee family thinking about the possiblity of losing Eric and loved them all the more for sacraficing for all of us. And third I too learned something last Sunday. Brother Quinn bore his testimony and said that it always irritated him when people use the phrase, "Die for their country." He said that no man or woman ever plans on dieing for their country. Its not what they set out to do but it is what they will do if nessecessary. I was glad to hear that because it makes all the deaths worth something. They go to fight for their families, land and freedom. I love all you soldiers...past, present and future! Thank you...

Apeeee said...

Oh...BEAUTIFUL picture, by-the-way!