Thursday, April 13, 2023

Alisa's BYU - Idaho Graduation

In 1996, I started my college journey.  I moved from Jay, Oklahoma to Rexburg, Idaho to attend Rick's College.  To this day, other than baptism and other covenants I made with God, I still believe this was the best decision I have ever made.  I know that is bold but I truly believe that it was the atmosphere of Rick's College that instilled in me what I then knew what I wanted in this Earthly life as well as returing to my Heavenly Parents.  Don't get me wrong, anyone who knows me knows how much I'm in love with my father, so I already had an influence to guide me toward a man who would treat me as I should be.  I had a mother who showed me that women can work hard and that equality could be had.  I had grandparents and an uncle that might as well have been a second set of parents and brother as they taught me to be fiercely loyal to family.  I also had dedicated Primary and Young Women leaders who clearly loved me so much that it moved the Spirit in me.  I also had the best of friends growing up, whom I always knew had my back and watched out for my naive ways.

But it was Rick's College where I got to decided what I believed.

Of course I believe those above mentioned things shaped my life.  How could it not?  But still, I could have chosen a completely different path in college.  But instead, I chose to learn and grown and know for myself what I wanted my future to look like.  And trust me, it looks like David and my sons!

I received my Associates Degree in 1998.  I went to school off and on from there but very sporadically and at different colleges (BYU - Hawaii, BYU - Idaho, on campus, and Ashford University).  It wasn't until we moved back to Utah, this last time, that I went almost every semester I could, part time, at BYU - Idaho, online.  It was a very slow route but with our family dynamics and situations, this is what was best for our whole family.  Needless to say, it took me 7 years all together to finish my Bachelor's Degree!

We drove up to Rexburg for the graduation and to take pictures but first...
...my Mom surprised me!  I sooooooo wanted my parents to be there for my graduation.  I mean, I really, really wanted them to come!  But I knew my Dad had just taken off so much time for a surgery and Mom had the daycare.  So when they worked it out so that at least one of them could go, it only seemed fair that it was Mom since Dad and Ronald came out years ago for one of David's graduations.  I'll journal more about our time together with Mom later, but it went by absolutely too fast.  But memories were made and I'm just so grateful that David, Dad, and Mom made it work out so that she could come.



No comments: