Saturday, October 18, 2014

It Was Probably All They Had

Mom posted this picture on Facebook and I can't stop thinking about it.  I may not have been alive to witness this time in my Grandparents, Mom, and Uncle's lives but I know it is true.  I know this not only in my grandparent's personalities of today but because of words of wisdom my Grandmother has given me over the years.

As I have been away all these years from home (besides the 3 years that we lived in Oklahoma a few years back) I have had many phone conversations with Grandma.  When things were financially hard I would hear stories of how when my mom was a baby, she slept in a dresser drawer because that was all they could provide at the time.  Or as I felted sorry for myself  because it had been so long since I had seen my family and was missing home,  Grandma would tell me how she longed to be with her Mom and Dad also while Grandpa was in the Navy.  These are just a few examples but they have lasted in my mind.

Probably because she and Grandpa didn't want the same for me, I don't know how many times they sent packages of baby clothes and stuff while David was in college.  Or how many times they flew me home while I was in college and even in the beginning of our marriage while David was still in school.  This is in no way to diss my great grandparents; they just couldn't afford to do that for my grandparents.  However, I'm sure that if they could have things would have been different.

Most people who know my family know how they are constantly doing things for each other.  I think it is a southern/Oklahoma thing but I also think that it is my family.  We were raised to give to each other and help when someone needs it.  I have seen my parents do this time and time again for their children.  

I pray I pass this wonderful example to my boys.


No comments: