Saturday, October 25, 2014

Halloween 2014

Since Halloween seems to always have so many events to go to (school parties, church parties, community parties and trick or treating) I have been trying to just pick one to take pictures.  The rest I just enjoy.  So know that we have many more celebrations to come!

Levi is Slenderman, Brigham is Pikachu, and Hyrum is Yoshi.
Not much to explain for our get ups :)
Levi and Jett wanted to pose for a picture.

Levi did say that his suit was uncomfortable so I told him he didn't have to wear it again, which of course stinks.  That suit was expensive!  But I can't blame him.  That suit would drive me nuts to wear!

I do want to share a learning experience I had with Brigham, though.

I took him, Hyrum, and Jett to a Halloween store the other day.  It had some pretty creepy stuff in there, which is why I am not a fan of Halloween.  I loved it when the boys were little because I never took them in these stores and when we dressed them up, it was just all cutesy stuff.  I knew that as they got older that they would choose much different things than I wanted and I accept that.  Except for bloody stuff.

So we are in this store and Jett finds all these creepy mechanical displays fun.  I was so busy trying to find stuff that I really didn't pay that much attention.  I knew what he was doing because he kept telling me to look but I could use the excuse of being busy not to look.  Finally we are ready to check out and I have to look.  By this point Hyrum was sticking to my side.  He is so like me in a lot of ways.  Scared of things is one area that I'm afraid he has taken on.  At one point he said, "Do we ever have to go back here again?"  Poor kid.  I told him that he never ever had to go back.  That it would be completely up to him and he seemed happy about that.

So I start walking up to this display and Brigham says, "Mom, you don't want to see that."  He wasn't joking.  He was serious.  I go closer and he tells Jett, "Seriously, she won't like that."  And then, "Mom, don't look."  So I followed his advice and told Jett that I was sorry but I was going to trust Brigham because he knows how much I don't like scary, creepy stuff.

As we were driving away, I told Brigham how proud I was of him for protecting his mother.  That it may not have seemed like that to him at the time but he was definitely protecting me.  I told him, "You know, that is what a man does.  Not a boy.  A man protects his mother."  I wish I could have gotten on camera the look on his face when I said that.  He just beamed.  I was so very proud of him in that moment.

I have been blessed with an amazing young man in Brigham.

2 comments:

The Bass Family Pond said...

Pretty Cute Family ")

Apeeee said...

This reminds me of Shaylee. Being a teenager and my daughter, she listens to quite a bit of music. Way more than I have time to listen to. So, she knows all about the "bad" songs before I do. We'll be listening to the radio in the car and a song will come on and she'll say, "uh, that's a bad song." And change the station. Love my Shaylee! She protects me too!