Thursday, January 30, 2014

School Update

Yesterday was parent/teacher conferences.  They went well and I was so proud of the boys that I stopped and got donut holes for them on the way home. 

Mrs. Wiggins loves Levi.  Teachers like her always make me feel like I am sending them to a safe place when they head off to school each morning.  Not a lot to report because he always does good in school.  So I thought I would share how tender he is.  Mrs. Wiggins loves this about him.

Last week, Levi pulled me into his room to tell me about a classmate of his.  He was worried he didn't have enough food and wanted to know if we could invite his family over for dinner one night.  I asked him why he was worried about this boy.  He told me how the boy had made a comment in class about wanting to take the snacks that were given that day (Roosevelt Elementary is a part of a program where fruit/vegetables are brought everyday inside the classroom.  I really love it because it gets them to try new things) home so he could feed his family.  So I talked to Mrs. Wiggins about it and long story short, there were conversations with this boy to dig deep to make sure he was being fed well at home. 

I am so proud of my Levi and his tender heart.  

Brigham is on a 6th grade (he is in 4th grade) reading level, which I am so happy about!  I have often said that I think Brigham thinks of school more socially than academically so I worry about him.  He also has to be reminded about everything, which can be frustrating but to see his work, yesterday, was such a relief that he is doing just fine in school.  

One of the things Mrs. Davies and I talked about was him and the kids he hangs out with.  There are 2 boys in his class that I just love.  They are crazy, like Brigham, but are good boys and I love knowing that he has good influences around him.  However, there is another boy in class that isn't the nicest, I'll just say.  I volunteer often in the boy's classrooms so I get a good feel of the personalities of each child.  So it didn't surprise me when Brigham and one of his friends came up to me a week or so ago and asked if they could stop hanging out with this certain kid.  They told me how he says the "F" word a lot.  The mommy in me wanted to protect and tell them to stay away but the compassionate side of me made sure that I told them they were to alway be kind to him instead.  I told them how they could choose what ever they liked but that they always needed to try to give him chances.  

Obviously it didn't get across to them because Mrs. Davies told me that this child had approached her and told her that I had said that Brigham couldn't play with him anymore.  At first I was irritated that he would say that.  But then I calmed down as the spirit whispered to me that I used to be just like that!  I can remember using my parents as my scapegoat so I didn't have to offend others when really I was the one uncomfortable with what they were doing.  So I had another talk with Brigham last night how he really needs to give this boy a chance.  He comes from a home where obviously he hears the "F" word.  School just might be the only place he will find the influences he needs to be a better person.  At the same time, I don't want him to be around this boy if he continues to act this way.  All in all, I just want him to be kind to this boy. But I have to admit I am super proud of Brigham for wanting to do what is right.  He has always been a leader and not a follower and I love him for that.  

As always, one of the compliments given to Hyrum was that he is super cute.  Mrs. Ballingham is always so busy that I don't get a lot of time with her but I do get one on one time with all her students as I do timed reading with them.  So I already knew Hyrum was a good reader but to see the numbers last night was great.  He should be reading 40 words per minute to be average but he reads 70 (this is for books that he has never read before).  My only challenge with him and his education is that he always wants the easy way out.  Mrs. Ballingham wants his homework done in complete sentences.  When I encourage him to do this he almost always says, "But it's too l-o-n-g!"

So yeah, they are doing great :)

No comments: