Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Gypsy Family

The Gypsy Family (duh, duh, duh, duh...snap, snap)

Dad once called us gypsies and after our latest news, I have decided we should take on the name.  Forget the Ad(d)ams Family theme song!

Our newest adventure?  Tracy, California!  

David and I recently had our 11th wedding anniversary and this will be our 12th move...though, we could add that one time we moved from one apartment downstairs to another one.

I have so much to record for my family.  I want you to look at this one day and know without a doubt that I know that the Lord's hand can be in some situations where, at the time, they seemed more as if you were being punished for some unknown sin you were committing.  Or maybe you chose a path that wasn't in tune with what the Lord wanted, yet you were sooooo sure He had guided you in the path you went.  

Just be patient.

Our journey with this house started about 4 months ago, I think.  It has been a ridiculous roller coaster ride as one thing after another has fallen through for us.  After picking up those "things" out of what seemed like terribly deep cracks, we would fix the situation just to find something else that was hindering the process.  I don't want to record all those things because quite frankly, I'm tired.  I'm exhausted, actually. 

I do want to record what happened Friday, however because it has strengthen me tremendously.  Things fell through with this house that we are living in (one of our many challenges.  Apparently, it is against Utah housing laws to buy a house that has changed hands within a certain period of time.  We would have been the 4th hand to buy this house in a six month period) so we found another house and was ready to close on it.  Last Friday was one of the MANY closing dates that have come our way just to be pushed ahead to a further time.  You see, we had to sign on Friday in order to not have to pay another months rent in this house we are staying in.  In order to push things along (like we could do anything about it!) to make us buy the house sooner, they had us sign a contract that would allow the owners to raise our rent $100.00 each month.  This month, we were up to $1,300.00.  Yep, ridiculous!

I'm angry, hurt, and frustrated on Friday night because I have been the "cheerleader" in this house for months now.  There are sooooo many times when David has had to lift me up in my depression (in the past) but throughout this whole house process, I just haven't faltered.  It has been him who has been so hard to have faith, this time.  I have continued to remind him of our promptings and to just have faith.

But on on Friday, in my anger, I asked David, "What is the use in having faith when it is all just the Lord's will in the end?!"  It made no sense to me why He would allow this signing date to be pushed back, once again, just so we would have to pay another months rent.  Money we didn't have mind you, because of all the expenses we have had to pay for this house crap!

By Saturday, I wasn't angry anymore but I was definitely numb to it all and just didn't care.   Monday rolls around and it didn't surprise me one bit when our mortgage guy calls and says that we won't sign until Tuesday.  Whatever.

But Monday afternoon, David's boss calls him and tells him he needs to see him the following morning.  In construction, you are always nervous about the next layoff.  Though Utah is doing amazingly well with building right now, you just never know.  There is a saying in construction that, "You are only as good as your last project."  David's last project, well, he was the man!  I know it is bragging but he helped save that project.  The project he is on right now, though, he is struggling to find his place.  He has tried and tried but with all the stress he has been enduring with this house thing and having to leave early from work to fix these "house things, " he hasn't left the best impression. 

So we were definitely nervous about this meeting.  I told him to call me immediately when he got in his car after the meeting.  He calls me at around 7:30 a.m. and tell me that he can either take unemployment or go to California!  Ha!  David was more than a little irritated by the news while I was just grinning ear to ear.  

It finally made sense!  The Lord's hand was in it the whole time!  If we would have bought this house, can you imagine how hard it would be to rent it out while we were gone?  And who knows what the renters might do to it.  Or the boys and I would have had to stay behind in our new home while David would only get to fly home every few weeks to see us for a weekend.  There is just no way I could  have handled that.  I have friends who have gone that route before, and while they did just fine, I can proudly admit that I am just not that cool!  I need my husband!  I am just not that strong to do it all alone.

So here we are, in our new chapter in life.  David now sees the wisdom in it all and feels extremely blessed that we have this opportunity to grow and gain more experience.

So, here we come future...

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I am sad your leaving me but am truly excited for you and this experience. Please call me and fill me in on the details so we can have one last hooray!!!

Unknown said...

Life has a way of throwing us curve balls. I'm hoping CA is a great fit for you!

Rebecca E. said...

Holy Smokes, wasn't expecting that! Haha, that is incredible news... WOW Cali, huh! I'm so sad that we haven't gotten together since we've been so much closer now. :( But when I read your post I just had to mapquest Tracy, Ca. and lo and behold it's about 20 minutes south of my Aunt Connie (mom's sister)! We love visiting them and you'll have to meet her too. She is awesome! Best of luck to you guys, we love you!