Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Our Blessed Land


I love the 4th of July.  I love that this is one of the few holidays not centered around physical gifts.....only the greatest gift; that of freedom.
Today, we had Family Home Evening with Grandma Adams and we centered it on this blessed land that we live on.  We focused on the scriptures in 1 Nephi chapter 13 and how it prophesied of the importance of certain events that would lead to this wonderful land that we live on today.
I love this holiday.
I love being reminded of both my Grandpas and the many years they were in the Navy.  I think of my Grandmothers and all they had to sacrifice as their husbands were gone for so long.  And though I wasn't around to see those sacrifices, I am still eternally grateful.  I am grateful for my dear friend Niki and all the years she has had to raise her children alone as her husband was away at sea.  I think of all these wives who didn't choose to be single parents, for a majority of their marraiges, but proudly took the call on as they knew they had to do what was placed before them to keep their families functioning.  This just makes my mind go back to my Grandmothers and what it must have been like for them.  So many have sacrificed....
This holiday, as well as those few centered around Jesus Christ, brings my emotions to the service.  The ultimate sacrifices.
So I guess this journal entry is my way of saying thank you to my Father is heaven for those surrounding me who have been such good examples to me.  I am so grateful that He placed these people in my life on this blessed land at this time in its history.

3 comments:

Char said...

You look so good! Look how pretty you are. Great job lady. Ive been reading a book about an LDS family in Berlin during WW2. Its made me very grateful for where and how I live today.

The Bass Family Pond said...

Cute! Good to see all your happy faces! Looks fun...")

Apeeee said...

I was just thinking the same thing Char...she is looking GOOD!