Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Rob and Erin

Rob and Erin (David's brother and Rob's wife) came to visit us on their way to Utah. They just spent their first year of marriage in Pennsylvania. We have all missed them and feel blessed that they would go out of their way to see us. Being "Mormon" I feel that I look at extended family different than most. We truly believe that we are linked together in Heaven. Most of my family knew Rob but they didn't know Erin yet. It was important to me that they got to know this new member of our extended family that I truly believe we will be spending a lot of time with in Heaven. I think it is very easy to lose sight of how important family really is. As we gathered together while April, my sister, taught the little ones a lesson on keeping families strong, I got a little teary eyed realizing just how big an eternal family really is. It is countless. Erin and I had a few long conversations of family as they stayed with us. I feel more connected with her now as I realized just how similar our 2 families really are....both a little crazy and loud but very closely knitted. I got to know her family during their wedding and I fell in love with them but after our conversations I realized why.
Later that night, David, Rob, Erin, Dad, and Ronald went crawdad gigging. Or should I say, "crawdad giggin'." We had to let Rob and Erin get a little taste of redneck while visiting.
Poor Erin froze that night!
You take a stick of some sort and put a fork on the end of it. Then you have to have a flash light and some sort of container to put the crawdad in after you've stabbed the thing. It is a group effort with someone holding the flashlight, someone getting the crawdad, and then someone taking care of getting it into the container.

I never did this growing up so this was new to me when the guys in the family started doing this a few years ago. My memories of crawdads involved a creek during the day. Dad would take us to a creek where he would fish and us kids would try to catch minnows and crawdads. Crawdads only crawl backwards so we would take one hand and go after the crawdad while we thought we were sneaky and would cup our hand in back of the crawdad while it would back up into our hand....unknowing that we had just trapped it.

The ones we saw during the day were NEVER this big though!

This is what they look like after boiled. I still have never tried one yet. I don't think I can eat something with a face just yet....

1 comment:

Shan Reid said...

I don't think I could ever eat one either... looks like a fun time though!