Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Rob and Erin: Day 2

On Tuesday, June 30th, we spent the morning trying to get to Harbor Village. You know how it is with little ones...ok, and me! When we were finally out the door, the van died! We have been having issues for a while with the battery and have been avoiding the real issue: the alternator. It was time to face up and take care of the problem! So we ended up getting to Harbor Village around lunch time so you can imagine how hot it already was by the time we got there. I felt bad for Rob and Erin because I'm sure they didn't enjoy it like they could have if it would have been a cooler day. In fact, we left before we even made it through the whole self-guided tour. I have been to Harbor Village plenty of times growing up threw school functions but even with that I couldn't tell Rob and Erin why it was there! So I'll just write what it said in the pamphlet: "A sincere effort to preserve for future generations the way of life as experienced by our forefathers who carved out of the wilderness this wonderful country we know and enjoy today." Some of you already know this about me but I'm kind of preparing our family for a serious natural disaster or something like an EMP attack. I know, call me a freak but I worry about that kind of stuff and believe it is a real possibility. Stuff that was in the "museum" would be stuff that we would have to learn again if something really bad happened. It is always wise to know our past.
So most of this stuff is really boring to little kids so they mainly played outside with the tadpoles, frogs....

....and yes, the snake skin. At one point, Brigham had the snake skin in the water and that was just gross to me. He had already put one of the small frogs in an area of Harbor Village that I was pretty sure little froggie wasn't going to make it out so once he started swishing Mr. Snake Skin around in the water I knew it was time to move on!


Behind Erin and Rob here are little cabins that were scattered all about Harbor Village. I loved the Native American Museum. We talked about some of the things we knew and well....ok, so it was one of the only "cabins" with air conditioning! Most of the cabins had antiques of all kinds; dolls, furniture, dentist (that one was just scary!), hat and dress, military, anything pioneer, machinery, and so much more. There was so much there that it was a little too much! But that could have had a lot to do with the crazy humidity and heat we were all trying to get out of.

This is my favorite. David served a mission here in the Grove, Oklahoma area. While on his mission he took a picture of himself at this pulpit. This was in a miniature chapel. Erin thought it would be cute to have David holding up Hyrum at the same place that his Daddy stood years ago. A family had wandered in behind us and was sitting in some of the pews. One of the ladies quoted the "out of the mouth of babes" scripture. It was so cute!

Aunt Erin really payed attention to Hyrum and as you can tell, he really enjoyed it. Hyrum is quite particular as to who he gets attached to so this picture is real sweet to me.

No comments: