Monday, June 8, 2015

Day One: Vacation in Oklahoma

Brigham, Baby Boy, and I got to fly to Oklahoma and stay for 5 days (May30-June3).  It was special for all of us.  It had been 3 1/2 years since Brigham had been to Oklahoma.  Baby Boy hadn't met my side of the family yet, other than Nanny at the airport about a month ago.  And I just really needed to see my family.

 This cracks me up because from the moment we walked through the security gates, April was trying to hug and love on Brigham.  Brigham doesn't liked to be touched much and if he is ok with it then it needs to be brief.  But April wouldn't let it go and she kept teasing him.  It was fun to watch!  So this is a picture of one of the many times she pestered him!  She made sure SHE was going to sit next to him on the ride home from the Tulsa Airport to Jay, Oklahoma.
 Speaking of April's silliness, I LOVE THIS PICTURE!  I love it for a lot of reasons but since I'm on the topic of April, I'm so glad that Amanda showed me how to cover up Baby Boy's face so that I could put these pictures on the internet.  The picture I chose to cover up his face is just too perfect considering what April's face looks like in the picture!
Soon after the last picture was taken, Uncle Chuck, Brigham, Elton, and Big Elton headed off to Arkansas for a Minor League Baseball game (Naturals).  I'm so glad Big Elton took this picture, well, because I'm obsessed with taking pictures but also because I now have TWO pictures of Uncle Chuck willing to be in a picture!  That is huge for Uncle Chuck!!!!  And if you notice in the group picture, little Elton is actually smiling.  This picture at the baseball game is what I am used to with him.  Not wanting to be in pictures.....just like his stinkin' father!

 But while the boys were heading off to their baseball game, I got to be with Amanda and her boys along with Grandma and Grandpa. 
 This picture kinda makes me sad.  I am very close to my Grandma and everyone knows it.  And yet I feel like on this trip I didn't see her enough.  When I came out 2 summers ago with Levi,  I felt like I didn't spend as much time as I wanted with my parents.  This is what sucks about living so far away and only getting a few days with family.  It's really hard to equally spread out time.
 Shaylee riding the donkey/giraffe.  Silly, beautiful girl!
It hasn't even been a week since we have been back, but I know this trip did my spirit wonders.  I had been struggling with my depression on and off since Brigham's hospital stay.  I desperately needed to see my family.  I needed to see the place I grew up in.  I needed my girls night out with my high school friends.  I needed April to make me let her stay up with Baby Boy so that I could really sleep (something I hadn't done in a while).  I needed to stay the night with my parents so I could have one and one time with them and reconnect (and it was absolutely wonderful, by the way!).  I needed to giggle with my sisters....really giggle!  And remanence on younger years.  I needed to be reminded of the importance family unity; that it really doesn't matter our differences.  We all have them, and that is what makes families beautiful! 
 
And you know what?  In a few days it will be a week since I have been back.  I am sick a again and yet I am ok.  This trip was the best medicine I could have ever asked for to get me back on track.  Back to thinking the right way.  Back to being mentally healthy.


No comments: