Monday, June 8, 2015

Day 2: Vacation in Oklahoma

 Day 2 in Oklahoma was Sunday so we started it off with going to church.  But before that, I had to take more pictures.....of course!
 
Church was nice to not only see all our old friends and church family but also to see the difference on how things are done.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is very united.  We have the same lessons in Utah that are taught on the same Sabbath in Africa.  I love that and it is comforting.  But I also love to witness the difference in the way that cultures will do things in different parts of the world.  And yes, Utah and Oklahoma do things differently!  Because the church in Grove is so much smaller than our ward here in Utah, it is a lot more personable in Grove.  I loved how Bishop Roberts pointed out certain people in class and gave compliments.  He builds his church family up and I love that.
 
Because of the flooding, a marriage reception was put off the previous Friday.  But since everything was safe on Sunday and the church was already decorated for it, they had the reception right after church.  It was cool walking into the church, to participate in Sabbath worship, but to see wedding decorations.  To others that might be weird, but to me it showed a small church in unity.
 Speaking of the flooding, I took some pictures of the results in Grove.  This is just a few blocks from the church.
 This is right behind the McDonald's in Grove, and though you can't see it, this is actually a park.  This park always floods when there is more than usual rain but I have never seen it get this close to the main road.  This guy here is telling me about how this is the perfect time to catch Catfish because they like to come up and nibble on the new grass.  Who ever said Rednecks aren't educated just see education in a different way, that is for sure.  After I told April what this guy was teaching me, she said something to the effect of how knowledge is found in very different ways.  This man is obviously very educated in the ways of nature.
 But it still cracks me up that people are fishing in a park so close to the road!
 After church we all went to Mom and Dad's house for dinner.  Amanda, April and I just talked, acted silly, and eventually took naps in the living room.
 It's weird to me that something as simple as this is so relaxing.  So familiar.
 Logan LOVED Baby Boy.  It really through me off guard every time he would be playing with Baby Boy.  Logan looks so much like Hyrum!  In fact, when I was showing Hyrum pictures from the trip, he saw this one and said, "Is that the cousin you say I look like?"  Even he can tell he looks like Logan!
I let Brigham spend way to much time on electronics on this trip but for once I don't feel guilty about it.  This is one of the ways he bonded with Elton.  Those 2 boys are electronic boys through and through.  But even when they were not on electronics, they connected easily and naturally and I love that!

No comments: