Monday, February 6, 2012

Prayers

I am not the best at praying.  I am a part of prayers at every meal at home and every night before family scripture study and if I am asked at church and at Family Home Evening but other than that I am not consistent.  Some may say that is very consistent but to someone who believes that personal prayers are very important, I really lack.  I am much better at making sure that my children pray than I am about me praying myself.  
Listening to my children pray makes me want to be better.  Levi can get caught in that rut of saying the same things each time he prays.  Brigham, however, only says one sentence that is the same everyday.  "Please help us  to find a way to live with You again."  It still makes me so proud of him every time I hear it. Before that he usually wants blessings and is thankful for everything from insects to his food.  Hyrum is a wonderful communicator with his Father in heaven.  He never asks for anything.  He just loves to tell Heavenly Father about himself and his family.  It is so cute.  "My brothers at school.  They are Levi and Brigham.  Daddy at work.  Me and Mom at home.  Nico is our cat.  I am Hyrum David Adams."  I love his prayers!
I never correct Hyrum's prayers.  I have listened to many children's prayers at meal time.  Often they forget to bless the food and they seem to always be corrected by a parent afterwards.  Another short prayer is said afterwards to bless the food.  I understand the parents reasoning.  Our bodies are our temples and we should put things in them that would bless it.  But I have a different look at prayers.  I believe we are encouraged to pray so often, like mealtimes, to be reminded to have that "constant prayer in our hearts."  Meals remind us to pray throughout the day.  So I don't mind if our food is blessed or not.  I just want my children to be reminded to talk to Him.  Something I need to work on for myself.

3 comments:

Rebecca E. said...

Such a sweet post Alisa! I love all your posts and just how Happy you are!!! Love it. I just sent you, Tricia, and Amanda a Facebook message but realized you either don't have an account or I'm just not connected with you, so I sent it to David on his FB account. So I pretty sure you check this more often than David's FB, so I'm hoping you'll get the message soon. :) love ya

Tricia said...

Oh I am so excited for this post. Can I share it in my talk? It is so perfect! I love you do very much! I hope you truly know what a great momma you are:)

Kristi Avery said...

I love kids prayers too!! My favorite line from Colton lately is, "please bless us to listen to our parents, and mean it!"