Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Hyrum!

Sunday was Hyrum's birthday and it just so happened to fall on the 5th Sunday potluck social after church...or as Brigham kept calling it, "pot roast." I decided to contribute cupcakes and have everyone sing to him. He was soooooooooo cute! And even more cute during primary. He kept informing the primary president, Sister Van Ornum, that it was his birthday over and over again. At one point he asked where his cake was! Later, at the "pot roast" his cupcakes were a big hit. They were actually zucchini bread with cream cheese frosting. During this time of year, Grandpa gives us plenty of zucchini from his garden. I love Grandpa's fresh food and it always comes in abundance, which gives me good reason to make new and interesting stuff.
We decided to have his birthday party tonight as a big Family Home Evening. We never did end up having a lesson or anything but we were all together! It was 109 today (not including humidity) and so I tried to do as much stuff inside as possible. We had dinner inside and opened presents but I had to say no to the cake being eaten inside. With 22 people in our little house, I did not want to pick up the little pieces of cake crumbs that are inevitable when it comes to children!
Hyrum was cute with all his gifts but I loved his reaction to his singing card from Chuck and the Pringles. Chuck got him other things but Hyrum just threw all the other stuff out of the bag and only seemed to care about the Pringles. I love it when people give gifts that have special meaning. When Hyrum would go over to MeMaw and Poppy's house, Uncle Chuck would always give Hyrum chips. I blame Chuck for Hyrum's obsession of chips to this day!
Hyrum couldn't decide on a theme for his party. We went to Wal-Mart and he wanted a SpongeBob pinata, Dora whistles, and for Nanny to make him a Mickey Mouse Club House cake. I decided it must be all about his shows on Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel!
As usual, we didn't have candles so I took Minnie and put some of the icing on her head and had him make a wish off this mock candle!
It really was miserably hot but it amazes me how when it is all about your kid, you just kind of forget about it. That is saying a lot coming from a woman who HATES the heat! But as always, the kids could care less about the heat. They just love being outside.....and yes, I am including 2 of the biggest kids here tonight, Wayne and David!

Happy birthday, Hyrum!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I didn't know where those cupcakes came from because I didn't get in to eat until later. Those were soo good. Morgan loved them and shared a bite with me. Way to go. Sounds like a fun and busy birthday bash:) He is such a doll. I can't believe he is 4...

Hannah and Ron said...

Happy Birthday! I love how August is the worst month for a birthday (mine is in the 10th) but yeah for being a child, and not having a sense of how hot it really does get!