Monday, August 29, 2011

Employee of the Year

I try to avoid Wal-Mart for the most part. I get nervous sometimes with all those people and I feel better about spending my money in smaller businesses like our local Harps store. But it also helps when great employees work there.
This is Fay. I don't know her last name and I only know her as a lady who works at Harps but I love this woman. For some time she has tried to win over Hyrum. Hyrum can be shy at times and so this wasn't an easy task. Slowly, however, a bond has been formed. Today as I was in one of the isles I hear, "Hyrum?!" I look all around and see no one but I know it is Fay. Sure enough, I get closer to a register and there she is waiting for her Hyrum hug.
I can remember coming in one day and I was really having a hard time with my boys. I didn't want to be there and couldn't wait to get them back home where I knew their energy could be somewhat contained. Fay was her usual wonderful self and by the time I was leaving the check out I realized she had taught me that my boys just want to be loved. So I calmed down and put things into the right perspective.
Today as we were leaving the store Fay told me that Hyrum had brightened her very hard day. She even got teary eyed as she hugged him.
We all need each other, don't we?...

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh my goodnes I absolutely LOVE Fay. She knows me as Sofies mom and always remembers me. She always without fail says "Have a blessed day". So cool that you got a picture to remember those people who truly make a difference. One day Bryn was begging me for change to try and win a stuffed animal. I gave in and she lost and of course was so sad. Fay kept giving her change trying to see if she could win. I swear she gave over a dollar just trying to brighten Ms Bryns day. She truly is a very special lady. And for the record I rarely go to Walmart. Harps is my new favorite!

Char said...

Thats so sweet!