Friday, May 20, 2011

Field Trip and boo boos

These events, along with some others, help put things into perspective. Who knew that a busted up face on such a cutie would finally be the last straw to get my attention?



Two nights ago, I had an odd dream. I dreamt about Marie Osmond and her new husband and their children. Weird, I know but I woke up knowing almost immediately what the dream was about.



Most people know that I love the Osmond Family so to have a dream about them would just make most people chuckle but I have a tender, sad place in my heart for Marie. She has been through a lot lately, the worst being the suicide of one her sons. I watched a clip from her appearance on Oprah not to long ago. She spoke of her son's bout with depression and how he had called her not long before he took his life to talk to her about how he was hurting. She was going to see him in just a few days and she kept reassuring him that she would be there on Monday. Later, he called but she didn't answer the phone because she was just about to go on stage. He would soon after kill himself. Her comment of, "Depression doesn't wait until Monday" is probably the most heartbreaking sentence I have ever heard.


I have often thought of her since then and how many times I put other things in front of my children. We all do it as parents and I am no different. I have been struggling with how much is asked of me in my calling and the time it takes away from my family. We have been changing certain things, David and I, for a while now with saying no to things and it has been nice. But I found myself Wed. night, at church, getting caught up in all that I should be volunteering my time for this summer, instead of being with my family.
So I had that dream that night. I woke up and knew I needed to say no to a lot of things.



Yet, I still tried to get out of this; Levi's class field trip to Harbor Village! I can name off so much that "had" to be done first....but I am so grateful now that I choose to go anyways.



So I get home, rush around to get cookies made for some people I want to get out to, all the while trying to get the house perfect for a showing. Rush, rush, getting irritated with my children for fighting, rush, rush and then little Hyrum comes in crying with that horrible gash on his face.


That's it! I'm staying home! And I did. How many times does the Lord have to prompt me in order to get me to realize that my little family is the most important thing in my life! They should always come first. Always!


It was just reaffirmed when I talked to my friend, Charlene, on the phone later that night. She is very limited in what she can do because of a leg injury. She too is going through that realization that not being able to clean and take care of certain things is not the end of the world. Actually, it is a mercy in disguise.

No comments: