Saturday, February 26, 2011

It's derby time again!

Today was Brigham's first pinewood derby with the Cub Scouts. This morning he was so hyper with excitement. Here he is with Daddy right before weigh in, putting graphite powder down in the whole in the wheels to lubricate things to help it go faster. It was fun watching those Tiger Cubs get so excited about this race!
And Brigham started his first derby race out with a bang!
First place!
I'm so glad that I got this picture because it was the only round that Levi won in the Wolves division. He was quite disappointed that there was no trophy this year and that his wheels were not working right. It is hard to convince a child that not everyone gets to win all the time.
After the Tigers, Wolves, Bears, and Webelos raced, all the first place winner got to race each other to see who wins in the overall division. Brigham was in second place until he put his weight on his car as he was standing up (after picking up his derby car from the track). After that, he couldn't beat anyone else. Later we saw a small chip near the wheel.
He got third place out off all the kids and I was pretty proud of him....until he told me that he wanted to throw away his derby car. In the boy's bedroom, they have a shelf where they put all their trophies for soccer and derbies. We always put the winning car up there also so I couldn't believe he would want to throw it away. He then told me that he was upset that his car "keeps breaking." I know I should give him a break but I have to admit that it disappointed me that he would be so ungrateful for all the time that he and Daddy had put into this car and to top it off that he won! I had to have a little talk with him and gratitude after that and how his actions are what made it "break." All is well now, though. One of those learning experiences, I guess.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

how fun!! I can't WAIT to work with your boys if you are going to do scouts at the church (if not I understand because you are super involved already!) Congrats Brigham on your win!

Ruth said...

Ah good times.....the much anticipated/dreaded pinewood derby!We still enjoy your blog and your cute kids, from what we can see you guys are great parents and amazing people. Love from the Grigg Family

Kyla said...

Alisa--will you please email me your email address? Mine is snappydandy at gmail dot com.