Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Brigham Lesson

A few hours ago I had a wonderful teaching moment with Brigham. Though not what expected; rather him teaching me.
Levi and Brigham were suppose to be cleaning their room when they got in an argument over who was lying. Brigham said that Levi told him to put Hyrum's giraffe on Mommy and Daddy's bed. Levi said that he didn't. At this point Daddy was tired of all the fighting that happens when 2 little boys are cleaning a room that they don't want to be cleaning. He sent them both to a corner and they had to stay there until both of them told the truth. Even in separate corners I could hear them arguing over who was lying but they needed to work this out so we left them be. After a while dinner was ready and it was getting cold so I decided to try to coax them into getting this corner thing done! I used the, "If you are not out of the corner in 5 minutes you get no snacks" bit as well as a few others and nothing seemed to work. I was getting irritated but then I started feeling that Brigham was the one telling the truth. Now you have to understand my boys. Rarely does Levi tell a lie. Brigham isn't this huge liar but he tends to be the naughty one out of the two boys and of course he doesn't want to get in trouble so out comes these lies at times. So statistically, I should have assumed that Brigham was the one lying. Levi wasn't acting weird; I just got the feeling that I should calmly explore this. So I calmed down and talked to the boys about how unfair one of them was being to their brother. That because of them lying the other one has to stand in the corner and now as the time goes on they are also losing their chance at getting a snack after dinner. This is where Brigham starts to amaze me. He tells me that he prayed to Heavenly Father on what to do and that He told him to tell the truth. Then he asks me, "If one of us tells the truth, will you be mad?" Normally that comment would follow with him admitting that he had lied but I still felt that he was being honest. So I told him that I wouldn't be mad but still neither one was budging. Then Brigham asked me to do something that I really did not want to do. He asked me if I would pray to Heavenly Father about who was lying. I have to admit that I acted like I hadn't heard him until I realized that I had to answer. Wasn't I just in Primary this morning watching as Levi gave the lesson on the Holy Ghost? I guess I didn't have the faith like this little boy of the Holy Ghost and what Brigham knew could be accomplished. Even though now as I look back on this experience, the Holy Ghost was prompting me the whole time, wasn't he? Anyways, I told Brigham that I would pray about it and then as I still wasn't sure this would work I told both boys that this is what would actually make me angry; If I went to the Lord and found out that way instead of them telling me the truth. Don't get me wrong, it would have made me mad but I think more than anything I was afraid of praying and not getting an answer. Oh to have the faith of a little boy. Anyways, Levi got the message and confessed right away. I was so very proud of Brigham at that moment that there wasn't a single mad bone in my body at Levi. I wish I could have gotten a picture of Brigham's proud smile as Levi told the truth and we praised Brigham for what he did in his prayers and for Levi telling the truth. It wasn't a smile of, "I told you so!" It was just a smile of pure happiness. I sure do love that boy.

3 comments:

Jolayne said...

Okay, I nominate Alisa Adams as the new writer for the Ensign/New Era/Friend... You always brighten my day AND teach me a lesson! I love your blogs!!!

Stephen and Amanda O'Dair blog said...

I want you to tell my little brigham that his primary president is very proud of him for praying to heavenly father, and to my little Levi for listen to the holy ghost as well! They just made me so happya dn I cryed! I love when I hear things like this and know that they are truly understadning what we are teachng them!

Apeeee said...

I know our little Brigham is labeled "the difficult one" of the three Adam's boys but I tell you this, He is the most sensitive when it comes to listening to the spirit! I do not doubt that you have many more lessons to learn from that special little boy!