Friday, September 11, 2009

What I want you to know...

I have been debating for some time now about how I am going to make a difference in this time that we, as Americans, live in right now. I am so very proud that I live in a land that I can even write this but I am scared that that right may be taken away from me if things continue to change as it has been since September 11, 2001. In many ways, some Americans are better. Some Americans are more passionate and more aware. Some of us are more pitted against each other now, though. It scares me that family members and friends can't talk politics anymore without fear and/or anger getting in the way. The other night I was watching a TV show, Glenn Beck, when Brigham came out of his room and asked me, "What's a Marxist?" Wow! Can you imagine trying to explain that to a 5 year old? I was at a loss as to what to say to him. Then I started wondering if I really knew what is Marxism. I mean, I know it is very similar to communism. That it is government gone way too far. Government that says they want to help but ultimately hurts us by taking away our freedoms. But how do you explain that to a 5 year old and how to you explain it to him in a way that doesn't take away his RIGHT to make his own decision whether it is right or wrong or whether he should just agree with Mommy. So I studied. I know what I believe. I know what I am concerned with in our government that will affect Brigham someday if I don't do my part to speak up. I am continuing to study. I am writing my President. I am educating those around me of the things that I am learning and I am doing it in a respectful way so that they will want to listen. They will want to learn for themselves. So I have a question for you; do you know what you believe in?

No comments: