Friday, September 25, 2009

Johnny Appleseed Day

Today I had the opportunity to spend most of the day with Levi's class celebrating Johnny Appleseed's legacy. I have to admit that I don't remember learning about him growing up and so I had to look him up on the Internet. It is kind of funny what is taught in school. When I asked Mrs. Eberle she told me of this man who is remembered as kind of a hillbilly (no shoes, wearing a pot as a hat...). That he went to Ohio and planted apple trees and in exchange from the locals they gave him food and a pot and so forth. It seemed kind of odd to me that they were making a day out of some man who planted trees but hey, who doesn't want an excuse for a party!?! So that is when I looked him up on the Internet. He really wasn't a hillbilly at all and was actually a missionary at times through his travel. He went about planting apple trees for people. He would leave and come back later to care for them, leaving others in charge while he was gone. He was a very generous man and would sometimes accept old clothes and such as payment. Sometimes he would receive "nice" things as payment but he only wore the old worn out clothes and gave away most of what he had to those who needed it more. His religious beliefs are a little odd, in my opinion, but he was truly an example of charity. Now that I know more about his man, well.... I'm really glad that I volunteered at the school today. Levi isn't the only one who is learning 1st grade material in this household!

No comments: