Sunday, December 8, 2019

Christkindlmarkt

Hyrum is taking German this year and the older 2 boys took it when we lived in Washington Terrace.  Interestingly enough, I took it in high school.  Who knew our family would be so interested in Germany!

The first year that Levi took German, he went with the German Club to Salt Lake City for the German festival there (Christkindlmarkt).  I remember, when he told us about what he saw and did there, I wanted to go also.  With Hyrum being in German this year, I was reminded, so our family finally went on Saturday!


(Here is the boys eating a German "waffel" and drinking "gluhwein."  At the festival, the gluhwein was non-alcoholic but usually it is pretty much a wine and hot cider type drink)

There were performances there, German food, and lots of little booths.  It was pretty simple, when I think about it (We didn't stop to watch the performances because we knew Ruger would never stay still for that).  We didn't do much and there were TONS of people there.  Normally, that would be too much for me and anxiety issues.  But I had such a wonderful time.

After we left, we found a Taco Bell and ate there.  After we ate everything, we just stayed there for a while and talked.  We never do that!  I always worry about Ruger being too loud or running around but I was so calm.  At one point I just sat back, watched, and couldn't believe how different I was.

I have been on a new medication for a little bit and my life has changed.  David feels like he's married to a different woman!  To put it into the right perspective, I was literally crying everyday (multiple times, actually) before this medication.  Having David gone during the week and only seeing him on the weekends was very tough on me emotionally.  And honestly, I haven't been fully well (as far as depression and anxiety is concerned) since our time in Oklahoma anyway.  It has just been intensified these past few months since I started school and David started living in Saint George for his job.

I still can't fully believe this new medication is working the way it is.  I feel so blessed.  But I've been depressed for so long and with that depression comes very low self esteem issues.  A part of me feels as if I don't deserve it.  But that is crazy right?  I deserve a "win!"  I know, deep down, that I do.  And David deserves it too.  He deserves a sane wife.  And he deserves not having to worry about his wife so much.

I have really gotten off the point of this post.  Christkindlmarkt.  But is was so good to really see the difference in me at this festival.  The difference that started a couple of weeks ago and without a doubt, manifested its effects on Saturday.  

No comments: