Saturday, September 21, 2019

East Coast Visitors

Living in Utah (even if you are not from there) and being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints pretty much guarantees that you will run into old friends eventually.  I love that about living in Utah.  It's where almost every "Mormon" somehow ends up visiting whether it be to visit other family members, coming to see and be a part of General Conference, or sending off one of your kids to a Church college.

I knew Niki from growing up in Jay, Oklahoma.  We became friends in High School.  She started going to church with me, took the missionary discussions, and then my Dad baptized her.  She married a man in the military and so after high school I didn't get to see her much.  When I would come to visit Oklahoma, she usually wasn't there.  But we always kept in contact through the years.  And every great once in a while, we would end up in the same place to be able to spend physical time together.  Last week was one of those precious times.
 She is currently living on the East Coast and was bringing her daughter out to BYU-Idaho for college.  They stayed with our family but before they left, Ruger and I took them to Temple Square in Salt Lake City.
 Ruger instantly fell in love with "Miss Natalie" and Niki and we had a wonderful time together.
 After Niki got Natalie settled in Idaho, she came back before flying back home.  She came to church with our family and we were soon reminded of all those years ago when she was baptized.  26 years ago, actually.
 We had time to kill before her plane took off so our family took her hiking near the Sundance/Alpine Loop area.  It is one of my absolute favorite places to go because of 2 reasons.  The first is that is where David and I took our engagement pictures some 17 or so years ago.  The second it that is has lots of my very favorite trees (Aspen).  Specifically, my favorite tree is a Quaking Aspen.



It had to be a quick hike because Levi hurt his ankle with a fall that happened during Cross Country class but it was so nice to be in such a beautiful place with people I love very much.

No comments: