Saturday, August 24, 2019

To Truly Sacrifice

It's interesting that I would journal about what I did in my last post.  How I'd be lost without David. Two days later, David came home from work to tell me that the company that he works for wants to send him to St. George, Utah (which is about 4 hours from where we live) for a project that would last 3 years.  When we moved this last time, we promised our kids that we would keep them in the schools that they are in right now.  That if we moved again, it would only be to buy a home and we would make sure that it was in a place where they wouldn't have to change schools.  Which only leads to the conclusion that David would live in St. George during the week and come home to us on the weekends.

We've done this before.  But not for 3 years.  Funny, when David and I first got married we always said we would never do this.  Never separate our family.  But just like life always does, it teaches you to never say never.  The first time we did this, it was only for about 3 months.  It was an internship while David was going to BYU-Idaho.  We couldn't lose our housing and the company that was taking David away during the week wouldn't pay for Levi and I to come along.  The second time we did this wasn't too long ago.  We were living in Washington Terrace, had just went through Ruger's foster care experience and adoption, the scare of Levi's lump under his chin and living in a hotel for a month because of the mold problem in our house.  When they told us that David would be gone during the week and coming home only on the weekends for almost a year it seemed daunting at first (especially with a toddler!) but it turned out to be a piece of cake compared to what we had just gone through.

The biggest blessing that came out of David being gone so much, though, turned out to be our relationship growing stronger.  We had always been so against separating a family before because of the fear of it tearing us apart yet the exact opposite happened.  We truly cherished our time together.

But this is for 3 years.

A job increase as well as financially will happen and we will have kept our promise to our children...but will it be worth it?

I have to have faith that the answers we received in the temple, prayer, and just plain faith in the fact that we are doing His will, will bless us beyond measure.

I never thought I would have to sacrifice so much for my children.  I'm sure David never thought he'd have to sacrifice so much to provide for his family.  And I'm sure David and I will never, even in this, understand what our Father in Heaven has sacrificed in making sure that all His children have a way to return to Him again.  I am surely learning that sacrifice is one of the hardest things one has to do in this life.

No comments: