Saturday, April 20, 2019

Falling Into Place

 All of the school age kids are in public school now.  Yes, I am not homeschooling anymore.  This is a huge relief to me.  With Brigham, it wasn't hard at all.  We paid for an online school to make sure he was being taught by an accredited school.  Because of that, they taught him everything.  It was a rare occasion that he came to me with questions.  But Hyrum was a different story.

It was tough on me from the beginning.  I did everything.  When I first started doing it, Hryum and I would work on it from morning till noon and from then until 1:00 p.m. he would have lunch and read.  At first, Ruger wasn't in daycare so it was incredibly hard to keep Ruger entertained while I taught.  I would wait until David got home from work and then go back to the bedroom to study and look up more material for the following day of school.  Sometimes I would be back there until it was time to read scriptures and then put the kids to bed. Imagine that Monday through Friday.  As you can imagine, I was incredibly stressed out and it lead me down a road that I have already wrote about.   I would end up trying many different methods to ease the pressure but by the end of my homeschooling "career" I was positive I wasn't doing enough for my son.

And for that reason alone was enough to be jumping for joy when we decided to move back to Utah and put all the school age kids in school.  I am so grateful to know they are getting the education they need.  I am so grateful to know they are in a safe place.  And I am so grateful to know they are making the friends that they sadly couldn't make while they tried school in Oklahoma.  
Here is Hyrum with his friend, Ethan, at a rocket launch at their school.  They had to pack the uncooked egg, that is inside this "rocket" (made out of a 2 litter pop bottle), just perfectly in order for them to fly their rocket (by hooking it up to a rocket device).  They had to figure out by themselves how much water to put in and just how many pumps they would have to pump.  I am happy to report that they did it!  They shot their rocket into the air and made it in the designated landing zone AND their egg did not break!  They were one of the few that met all conditions.  
 Ethan and his family took Hyrum to UVU before a Wolverine game where there was an Easter Egg hunt.
Things like this make me feel like things are falling into place for our family.  

No comments: