Friday, April 20, 2018

Growing Up Okie

It's so nice being back home for many reasons.  We don't always get to be back in the Jay area.  And it is probably a good thing just because David and I would never save any money if we did, but when we do head to Jay, it is time well spent.  Family time can't be replaced, that is for sure.  And I'm trying to see my friends as much as possible as well, though it doesn't always happen just because I'm really trying to get that family time in first.
 Laura and I were able to spend some really late birthday (dinner) time together.  I really needed the laughter and boy did she bring it!  I never did get a cake or anything and now that I think about it, I should have brought us one.  I should have brought us a big ol' obnoxious one!  I was already embarrassing her by calling the gyros "GUY-ROES"...wait, what am I saying?  Nothing embarrasses that girl.  She would have loved it!
 On the same weekend there were familiar faces at church that I hadn't seen since growing up at church.  Some had moved back to the area and it just felt like old times so I took some pictures.  I wish I could put into words how good the whole weekend felt.  This was all on the weekend that we came down for the belated Easter celebration.  Spending time with family, seeing Laura, seeing those girls that I grew up with in the Grove branch was so good for me.  It is hard to put in words how familiar it all was for me. 

And a good familiar.  Not a familiar that would cause anxiousness that it would for some people.  It just felt like home in a lot of ways.
 I'm not really good with time but a week or so after, I was in Oklahoma City at the outlet malls when I ran into Haley.  I hadn't seen her in years!  I grew up with her in the Grove Branch as well and went to school with her.  She was a couple years younger than me but I just always loved her.  There was always something special about her and her Mom.  When I think of her and her Mom, I think smiles.  Anyways, when I saw her, I didn't want to stop hugging her!  Again, it was this overwhelming feeling of home.  It's just so hard to explain.
 This picture of Marlana and I was taken back in February when we celebrated her birthday.  She met me in Tulsa for dinner and then we hung out in the mall for a bit. 
Most importantly, I got to witness her be brave.  I watched as Marlana was proving she was an independent woman.  I watched as she was becoming this confident woman believing in herself again.  I've been wanting to journal this for a while now.  I got caught up in all my health stuff that I never got this on here.   But I'm so proud of her.  We can all change.  We can.  We can take a new path.  We don't have to take the path that someone else has steered us in the direction of.  No matter how old we are.  No matter how set in our ways we are.  Change can happen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was so much fun! Love you bunches and bunches!