Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Grandma Beck

Into the second week of March of this year, Grandma Beck passed away.  With her passing, I have been reminded of a few things.

The weekend of her burial, some friends of mine and I were supposed to get together for a getaway for our birthdays.  We all turn 40 this year so we kind of all wanted it to be a big deal.  But with Grandma Beck passing away, it naturally got put off for another time.  Two of my girlfriends that were a part of this getaway mentioned that they only had one Grandparent left each.  I was reminded of how blessed I was to have, up until the day that Grandma Beck died, all of my Grandparents still alive. 

Which reminded me of another thing.  When I was pregnant with Brigham, David's Grandma Hess passed away on my birthday.  I remember feeling big and running after a toddler in the halls of a church during her service.  But this time we were outside and I didn't have to chase after children.  On March 13, 2018 we buried my Grandma Beck on my 40th birthday.  

I guess you could feel sorry for me but my husband tried so hard to make it "right" when I came back from the viewing and burial.  He felt bad.  Even dad tried while we were out in Wisconsin. But I'm on this amazing medicine that makes me not care which I will journal about later.  So right now just trust me that it doesn't matter because this is not about me.  I might be writing about it because its mine and my family's journal but this "time" spent out in Wisconsin is out Dad and Aunt Linda and Grandpa.
(Dad bought Linda and I Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen because they were my favorite item from the store growing up, the night before the burial to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY)





Grandma Beck's viewing was in Wisconsin.  Dad and I stayed a few days with Madison, Linda, and Grandpa Beck during the days, and in the evenings went to the motel with Linda and Dad.  On the last day we drove to Iowa where Grandma Beck was buried.   It was a small gathering where Grandpa was able to share a few personal memories of his wife.  He was kind enough to let Dad dedicate Grandma's grave.  That meant a lot to me.  I think that was why I was finally able to shed some real tears at the end as we were leaving.  
This picture of this white house is the Cedar Falls Woman's Club.  It is where the lunch-in was held after the burial.  I don't have any pictures to do it justice.  It was an old house that is very clean but has kept it old charm.  It was perfect for Grandpa Beck.  Grandpa Beck was speaking of of how he met Grandma Beck at her burial.  We couldn't have had that lunch-in at a better spot in my opinion.

No comments: