Saturday, January 24, 2015

Science/Math Family Night

The boy's elementary school put on a family night, themed around science and math, on Thursday.  They fed us dinner...
...and provided quite a few games.
This is Hyrum with one of his teachers, Miss Hyde.  She has been such a blessing for Hyrum.  He has 2 teachers this year because of an influx of 2nd graders that came right at the beginning of the year.  So they brought in Miss Hyde to take kids from each of the full time 2nd grade teacher's classrooms to help them out for half of the day.  Hyrum's original teacher, Mrs. Freeland, is very strict and for some of my kids she would be great but for Hyrum and his sensitive spirit, I worried about him.  Miss Hyde is so opposite and he is just in love with her.  So much so that he almost had a breakdown when it was nearing the end of the family night and we hadn't been to the station that Miss Hyde was at.  The teacher at the station we were at, at the time, saw those tears coming and quickly went to go find her.  We felt bad because Hyrum had waited patiently all night to find Miss Hyde.  Originally we were going to go to her station first but it didn't work out that way. He still is so sensitive to things when they don't work out the way that he is told will happen.  It's hard getting kids to understand that sometimes things happen that make other things not happen.  And that doesn't mean that you were lying when you told them about your original plans.  Things just happen that you can't control.
Well, maybe you can't control.  We spent the majority of our time at this station because SOMEBODY insisted on beating the record of tallest tower....yeah, his own record!  David beat the record the first time at 154 centimeters but nooooo that wasn't enough!  He had to do it again and went out with 180 centimeters in the end!  David is correcting me right now as I write this and is pointing out that 180 is as tall as the measuring stick and that it was actually taller....hmmmmm....Someone thinks he is pretty awesome....well, maybe he is :)
I wanted a picture with Maddie and Levi together but didn't want to make it obvious so I made it a group picture.  Maddie is at our house (or Levi at her house) quite often.  Of course, I totally want him to marry her (because she is AWESOME!) but I wanted to remember the progress I have made as well.  I can be so overly protective but with Maddie I have really let go of a lot of things.  I have let him walk her to her house (she lives 2 streets over from us) when she is still over at our house and it is dark (I know he is 12 but I can't help it!) so she won't have to go by herself (which means he walks home by himself...still gives me a yucky feeling inside).  I also let them walk to a nearby gas station during the day.  I let him go to the park with her when they are meeting up with friends.  This is a BIG deal for me!
And I thought I'd end the last picture with this one.  Erin and Rob sent a Happy wrap for me and Baby Boy.  He is such a cuddly little guy so this wrap has been heavenly to have!  But when I take him outside in it, I look pregnant!  Speaking of, I overhead someone say, "I didn't even know she was pregnant" the other day as I was walking by with Baby Boy in the Happy Wrap.  Foster Care has made for a lot of questions/answers for our family but that is ok.  He is so worth it! 


No comments: