Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

As always, we love just about every holiday but certain holidays are extra special when Daddy doesn't have to work and the kids don't have school.  I got up early to get certain foods going so that they would be ready for the big meal.  And as much as I love to sleep in, it was worth it to have so much family time in the kitchen.  Believe me, that says a lot for 2 reasons.  I LOVE to sleep and I really don't like it when other people are in the kitchen with me.  One reason is because our kitchens are usually too small to have more than one person in them and the other is that I would just rather do it all by myself.  But I am not the same person I was not too long ago.

I thought ahead this time.  I knew that I could very well have some anxiety issues with trying to get everything done by noon so I allowed myself to take some shortcuts.  A few days ago, I was listening to KLOVE radio  and heard an interview with Amy Grant.  She spoke of how it was important to enjoy the holiday.  That an hour before the festivities would start that you should do something for yourself so that you can relax enough to truly enjoy it all.  I took another step and decided that I would not cook everything.  I would say that about 1/4 of our food was precooked/fixed already.  That allowed for me to still feel like it was a home cooked meal while relieving some of the stress.  I even let David cook the turkey!  He cooked one last year and did so good...and he didn't disappoint yesterday!  He has always been a better cook when it comes to meats than I am.  I'm only good at meats if it is in something like the crock pot or casserole.  

I know it will sound cheesy but there were certain times when David and I were in the kitchen where I felt this strong connection.  More love than usual.  I feel our family is really good when it comes to the love aspect of each relationship but it was just so strong yesterday.  It was just an overall great holiday.

Grandma (Helen) was over most of the day with us.  She played games with the boys as well as helped with the cleanup.  I am truly grateful for all the involved grandparents in my children's lives.  

The turkey took a little longer than we expected but by the time it was done, we sure did enjoy our meal...as well as pies later!
Stephen and Holly came over later to pick Helen up but spent some time with us as well.  It was nice and relaxing.  Lots of playing happened all around Holly, Helen, and I as we talked and the men were outside working on Holly's van :(  

I took other pictures but the "dimple" cousins were my favorite :)  Hyrum said the CUTEST thing when we were over at Stephen and Holly's house last time.  Hyrum and Abbey were sitting at the kitchen table and something was said.  I can't remember what it was but I certainly remember Hyrum's response.  He said something about when he grew up "and married Abbey."  Oh my gosh, it was cute!  Then David had to ruin it and say something about us not being from Arkansas....ok, it was really funny, actually...



No comments: