Saturday, September 7, 2013

Playing With The Button Bunch

(Standing: Ryan, Berni holding Tuesday, David, and Alisa
Sitting:  Levi, Hyrum, Creed, Easton, Brigham, MaKay, Parker, and Beckham)


Today we met the Button family at the San Lorenzo State Park in King City, California.  The Buttons live at the Vandenberg Air Force Base, so it was a 2 1/2 hour trip for both families to meet in the middle.  The park wasn't the most spectacular state park we have ever been to, but being there with friends you haven't seen in about 3 years makes for a wonderful time.  We spent 5 hours with them in 97 degree temperatures, but of course it was all very worth it.  

We lived in the same apartment complex as the Button family while living in Rexburg.  Both our families only had 2 children by the time our family moved but as you can see, we all have grown quite a bit!  As we were leaving I said something to David about how I couldn't believe we had been there for 5 hours with him.  His response: It's easy being with such good people.  And he is very right.  

I tend to make close friends with either the very opposite of me or those just like me.  Not so much with those in the middle.  Berni is just like me in so many ways.  I love her so much for that.  I have always looked up to her so much.  So I need to be around her to be reminded that I am doing things the best way that I know how.  Listening to her imperfections, which are almost exactly mine as well, reminds me that I have someone I can confide in and who completely gets it.

As I was talking to Berni, she mentioned that Makay asked what I looked like when she told her that we were meeting our family today.  Berni told her that I had beautiful eyes like hers.  It made me smile in my heart to hear her say that because MaKay has absolutely huge, bright eyes and who wouldn't want to be compared to that!  And also because the Button family came to visit us while we lived In Oklahoma and while there MaKay was so very sweet with me.  I always soak it up when a little girl will pay real attention to me.  I guess because I am surrounded by boys all the time.  So when a little girl who hasn't seen me in years, walks up to me and holds my hand....well, my heart just melts.  Such a sweetie.

While Berni and I were talking in the shade, David and Ryan took the kids to see the historical displays they had at the park.  I wasn't there for this picture but as you can tell, Brigham and Easton had fun acting as if they were running over Hyrum, Levi, and Creed with this caboose.  Silly boys!  All the kids walked trails, played in water, and climbed trees while the men let Berni and I have our girl time.  

Berni and I sure did good in picking out the perfect spouses for ourselves :)

No comments: