Monday, September 9, 2013

Jelly Belly Factory

Today the boys and I, along with a friend (Jonathan), went to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield.  On Mondays, the boys get out early for teacher preparation but these lucky ducks got half of a half day today (I took them out of school right before lunch)!  Jonathan is Levi's friend from church.  He is such a polite and good boy.  I never once had to get on to him for any thing.
(Martin Luther King, Jr.)
Before we went on the tour of the factory, we were able to see some of the artwork that were on display.  Each picture had between 10,000 to 14,000 jelly beans on it.  They were pretty amazing.
(Benjamin Franklin)
Most of the pictures were political figures, which I really liked.  They paid the most tribute to Ronald Reagan.  He was a huge lover of Jelly Bellies and even attributed the candy to him being able to quite smoking while Governor of California.  The company made a special bean for his inauguration in 1981 so they could display red, white, and the color blue.  I really enjoyed learning this about President Reagan.
(Left: Brigham, Levi, Jonathan, and Hyrum)
After watching the making and packaging of the Jelly Bellies we headed for the candy store, where there were lots to chose from.  One of the boy's favorites were these:
On the way up and back from the factory, we got to watch the firefighting air crews poor fire retardant on Mt. Diablo.  I was glad for that to keep them entertained because the drive home was really long because of traffic.  I was a little anxious by the time we got home.  I don't care to drive in traffic at all :(  It made me miss David even more, not being on this trip with us.

No comments: