Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tracy Cub Scout Day Camp

 June 18-20th was our Cub Scout Day Camp for the dens in Tracy, California.  The boys really enjoyed it, which was a relief considering how some of us have felt about past day camps.  The first one Levi was a part of was in Oklahoma and he didn't complain but I volunteered for 2 of the 3 days and it was m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e for me!  There was lots for the boys to do but it was so stinkin' hot and muggy and we had to use porta potties and, well, that and heat just doesn't mix.  By day number 3, I couldn't take it anymore and insisted on David taking them the last day.  Camp #2 was in Oklahoma again, still miserably hot, but I was able to get away with not going the first day because I got sick.   Poppy (Beck) stayed with them at camp that first day.  By the last day, even the boys couldn't handle the heat and BEGGED me not to take them back.  I was more than happy to oblige!  Last year, in Utah, the camp wouldn't let me go because I had Hyrum with me.  But the boys really liked that camp.  So this year when they asked me to help I have to admit, I wasn't all that excited.  But then I found out it was mostly inside.....heaven!!!!!  See, in Oklahoma, you were outside the whole time.  I'm telling you, being inside this time made all the difference and I can say that I finally made it all three days!  Yes, I am a wimp when it comes to heat but I was finally able to enjoy this time with the boys...even, if they had me mostly helping other boys who were not in my boy's groups.  It just felt good to be in the same building with them and knowing it wasn't miserable for them either.
Levi did say something cute, though, after our first day at camp.  I was asking him about what he enjoyed and he seemed to really like it.  But after a few minutes of thinking on it he said, "It was kinda lame.  I mean, it is camp but there are no tents.  There wasn't even smores!"  Ha!  I tried to get him to understand the difference between camping and day camp :)
(middle-Brigham)
I spent the most time with Brigham out of the 2 boys (because of where I was placed each day).  Brigham is such a defiant kid sometimes that we just really clash but I have to admit that after being around so many boys his age, I have to say that I felt that maybe I'm a little too strict with him.  Yes, he can be a stinker but really, he is such good kid compared to what I saw.  
I was real proud of him at the pool.  He passed off the deep end tests right away.  No need for re-testing with him.  He has always been my little swimmer.
(left-Levi)
The boys always love the archery and bee bee guns at camp.  This year was no different.  Levi and 2 other boys were the only ones in his group to get the bullseye.  He did that a few years ago at camp also.  It fit perfectly because Daddy calls him "Eagle Eye."  He gave him that nick name because when we are driving somewhere looking for something, he almost always finds it before the rest of us.
It's always a little hard for me to put Hyrum in any kind of setting where someone is watching him for a long period of time.  I guess because out of all my kids, he is the only one who has had a hard time when it comes to me or Daddy leaving him somewhere.  When we were in Oklahoma and that first year in Head Start; I didn't think we were ever going to get him used to us leaving him.  Almost EVERY morning he would cry as we were leaving.  But even now, at 5 years old, he is typically not real thrilled about being at new places without one of us.  So he was hesitant about the day care area at camp.  He even told me he was nervous on the second day but as you can see, they really entertained them well.  Every time I went to check on him, he was doing something different.  They were really clever at doing different things to keep them happy...which made Momma real happy.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You are the cutest mom EVERRRRRR!!!!

Tricia said...

I think we all have kids that can make us worry or question our parenting:) You are such a good momma and so good with boys... Look at you spending your time at scout camps. UGH that just makes me want to throw up:)