Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fun Run

This year's PTA fundraiser was a Fun Run.  Yesterday was their way of collecting money for school events as well as keeping the kids active. 
Since Hyrum is now in school for a few hours, I am able to volunteer quite a bit now.  It feels so good helping in the boy's classroom.  They just light up when I come to help and I just soak it all up because I know it won't be long until I'm not so "cool" and become an embarrassment. 
Helping with the Fun Run has probably been the greatest yet.  Each grade had 40 or so minutes to run their mile (each grade was tailored differently on how far they ran) and then had healthy snacks as well as a few games to play before going back inside the school.  I came prepared with Brigham's inhaler and lots of encouragement to cheer him on.  
My asthmatic was determined to run this mile....without stopping for puffs from his inhaler.  When he would pass me I would offer but that just wasn't an option.  A little part of me wanted him to stop for a couple but at the same time I was really proud of him for his determination.  His asthma has definitely stopped him in active things before.   Usually, he is really cautious about what he does though.  He was the one who decided he didn't want to play soccer anymore, because of his asthma.  So, I was a little surprised that he kept running but at the same time, this is my very determined boy.  Brigham has a hard time backing down on anything that he has set his mind to do or be.
Afterwards, of course, he was coughing and wheezing like crazy but we made it through it!

1 comment:

The Bass Family Pond said...

just can't imagine playing ball or running with asthma. Good for Brigham, he's got a big Heart ")