Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy 4th!

Last night was Grove's firework display. It was a last minute decision to go, only because we thought it was going to be tonight. But it worked out great as we arrived at last years location just minutes before the fireworks went off. That is what is wonderful about living in a small town....not hard to find parking and friends! We sat down next to the Houck and Brown families and it was entertainment from there!
When the fireworks began, Lilly and Hyrum started dancing with excitement. I just love this picture! And it is the only picture I am going to post from this holiday. There will be more celebration on the actual 4th at April and Elton's house and then at Mom and Dad's house but I just want to enjoy the time without worrying about getting the perfect picture. Plus, I think this picture captures the moment just fine. It captures joy.....and how wimpy our firework displays are! Ok, so they are not really that bad but as I was sitting next to Marie (who lived in Idaho with me) and Nate (who is from Idaho Falls) I couldn't help but chuckle at what they must be thinking. Idaho Falls has the most amazing firework display right on the snake river by the temple. It seriously is so long and full of fireworks that it actually gets to the point of where some just might say it is getting to be too much for too long. I have always missed Rexburg, Idaho since leaving but it seems to be on my mind quite a bit lately. I missed Idaho all the more tonight.
So as we were heading home tonight the boys were asking about other fireworks. Levi then asked if they would have them in China. I told him yes but that it would be for something like New Years Day not the 4th of July. I had that dreaded fear that my children didn't remember what this very important holiday was about. So I asked Levi if he remembered why we celebrated the 4th of July and he made me proud as he spoke of "America being born." Kids are so cute with their words. And before I forget I need to record what Hyrum has said since leaving for Utah a few weeks ago. So we were talking about driving to Utah when Hyrum said something about "Me-tah." I didn't get it at first but when he kept asking where we were when we actually arrived in Utah, it made since. I would tell him that we were in Utah and then he would say, "Oh, Me-tah." He though we were saying "YOU-tah." So cute!

3 comments:

ryan and berni said...

kids are what make holidays great aren't they? Miss you guys!!!

Us, the Gilson's said...

I'm sorry that we missed you!!! It's been a crazy 2 months with moving, settling, and my sister's wedding. BUMMED that we missed you... we totally would have been there.
*sniff sniff*
---Jenn

Tricia said...

Oh how I miss the ME-Tah 4th. It just isn't the same out here in these parts. But life is an attitude as my mom always said so I will take what I get and TRY not to throw a fit:) Thanks for sharing and documenting these memories.