Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Little Blue

As we continue to be in heat advisories with our 100+ temperatures PLUS HUMIDITY we headed off to Little Blue State Park in Disney, Oklahoma. I am not a lake person. Probably because the Grand Lake is so nasty looking but I grew up going to creeks with my family. I was excited to go to Little Blue since I hadn't been there since before my children were born. The waters were so clear and it doesn't get very deep so that put my worried Momma's heart at ease.
There were 21 of us and the majority of the time, I would say, was spent in this area. The kids loved being in the deeper end being able to jump off of this log and floating styrofoam that I think are used for under the docks around here. Look at Shaylee posing in the middle! The Mommies parked ourselves in camping chairs in the water staying quite cool.
The second favorite thing was catching things. This crawdad was the first thing caught. Then came minnows, frogs, bugs, snails.....
Tricia brought these bags for the kids to catch minnows in and Hyrum was so cute when he came up to me and said, "I caught water!" Later, he and Sofie found it much more fun when holes were punctured at the bottom and gave themselves baths.
I still am so impressed with how clear the water was. We live close to the Grand Lake and it has been advised for a while now that people do not swim in it because of the Blue Green Algae problem that it is having. It's pretty nasty, not that I ever swim in the lake, but to know that not all the water around here is contaminated makes me feel better.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh SURE, you guys all go when I'm GONE :). Looks like so much fun. I'm glad that you found a way to COOL OFF!! Miss ya!

Tricia said...

Thanks for the fun day! So nice to finally have a day with you and the kids. Love you:)

Char said...

Looks fun and refreshing!