Saturday, September 18, 2010

Just enjoying my boy time!

I started school this week. It still feels weird to say. 11 years after getting my associates degree and I finally made it back! I am working towards my bachelors degree in sociology and am doing it online through Ashford University. My real desire is to do something with Anthropology but it really isn't realistic for family life and I've been kind of surprised at the number of universities that actually don't offer it as a major. Sociology is the closest thing I can get to my "culture" fix! I have 2 callings in church, I work, and most of my evenings are full of homework and/or soccer, FHE, meetings (school and church), boy scouts (now with 2 boys and both on different nights, of course!) and I'm sure there are a few things I've left out. One thing that we do, is on Friday nights David and I rotate on who gets a special date night with one of the boys. It works perfectly because every Friday night either Levi or Brigham spends the night with Nanny and Poppy while the other has the date night with one of us and then Hyrum gets alone time with the other parent. This Friday I had the day off so I was able to get my homework done while the kids were in school. I was suppose to go to a Relief Society meeting that night but Nanny and Poppy was in Branson for their anniversary (33 years!), I was caught up with school and I just kept thinking about my kids and how little time I seem to have with them anymore. So I decided it was time to have some family time. The family time that I wanted to have. So I picked up the boys from school (David always does that because I am usually at work at that time), got them a happy hour drink from Sonic (gotta love that place!) and then took them to Blockbusters so that they could pick out a movie to watch. We ate odd food (like wheat bagels with strawberry yogurt spread on top and banana slices to top that!) while we watched Bedtime Stories and just laughed. I think I really needed that cuddle time with them. And I think Daddy needed a little break from being Mr. Mom. It was nice to be able to let him get stuff done outside of the house for once.
As much as I loved that time with the boys today seemed to be a little harder for me to take in. When you are used to days that always have something sceduled, those days where not much is planned can be hard to get used to. I found myself getting real irritated with the boys. They just seemed to be real winey and I wasn't handling it very well. But I'm thinking back on some of todays activities and I guess it makes sense. I'm going to have to remind myself that this is just as much as an adjustment to them as it is to me.
Some of the positive parts of today was at the Civic Center. David and Hyrum drove by there this morning while running an errand and noticed lots of people. Thinking that maybe it would be something fun for the kids inside he had the rest of us meet him there. By the time we got there we realized we had crashed the REC day party. REC is the electric power company....just not the one we use! Funny, but hey, I got to see Brian White perform! Here the boys are learning about power line safety. It was kind of perfect timing. While I was driving them over to the Civic Center, Brigham asks me, "Where does electricity come from?" I told him that I didn't know and that I had always wondered that myself. So we go to the REC day and this wonderful man here explained to both Brigham and I all about Electricity we get from water, coal, and wind.
After we left, we went to the park to take out the motor bike. I am happy to report that Levi can now ride his bicycle without training wheels! We thought he would want to ride the mini motorcycle now that he is getting the hang of balancing his bicycle but he was really into his bicycle without the training wheels. So, I guess someone had to ride the motorcycle....what a hard life Daddy has!


1 comment:

Christine said...

Alisa, you are an amazing mom and wonder woman! That is wonderful you are going for your bachelors, you rock!