Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Head Start

Today was the open house for the Head Start that Hyrum will be attending, starting this Thursday. Hyrum is only 3, which is really early to be starting a certain type of "school" but with his speech problems we have been encouraged by Sooner Start (Hyrum has been in this state run program for about 6 months because of his very low speech skills) to make this our next step for him since he is too old to stay in the Sooner Start program. This will be quite an adjustment for Hyrum since the Sooner Start program is an in-home program that is only twice a month. Now he will be attending "school" Monday through Friday. I see how the Lord prepares all of His children though; even His really little ones. When I worked for the Census and when I would work for the flower shop there were a few times that David could not watch the kids because of his schooling so they would attend Mom and April's daycare. Hyrum is very much attached to his parents and us taking him to the day care was a good way to get him ready for this day coming up......Head Start.....As you can see, he still hasn't mastered the skill of being able to walk up steps without holding onto a rail. Here he is holding his presents for his teachers.
Ms. Dala and Ms. Karrie will be his main teachers. I still haven't met Ms. Karrie, but this was my second time I was able to spend a little "get to know you" time with Ms. Dala. And just as sweet as she looks in this picture; it accurately portrays her. She seems like one of the most genuine person you will ever meet. It is obvious her love for children and just people in general.
So I started working full time at the flower shop this Monday. It is perfect timing since Hyrum will be going to school now and there really isn't a need for me to stay home. Here are a few cute things I have heard or heard about about the kids.
-Handy Helper is the name that the boys call Tuna Helper because of the smiley hand that is on the box. David thinks it is sad that they have their own name for this dinner....meaning he must fix it too often. I just think it is cute!
-Levi asked us the other day why it was already Fall. I had to explain to him that it wasn't actually Fall but that the grass is dying and the leaves are falling off the trees because it is so hot outside and we haven't had rain in a long time. He then said something about all the grass going to Heaven. Once again....sooooooooooooo cute!

1 comment:

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

Ahh I wish Hyrum was in my class. I'm going back to teaching Head Start in a couple weeks. It is an amazing program and if I had known I would be here sooner then I would have applied for Lilly to be in it. Hyrum will absolutely love it and you'll see him grow so much.