Friday, May 14, 2010

How do you like your mushrooms?

Tonight was Brigham's date night with me. Like we usually do, because of his Book It certificates, we went to Pizza Hut. He only wanted a salad even though his "coupon" was for a personal pan pizza. I don't know how in the world I got such a healthy eating kid! In fact, this is the same child that I remember trying to hide his vegetables in other pieces of food because he wouldn't eat them. The same child that I punished at the dinner table for not eating his vegetables. Actually, I was kinda mean about it.....honestly, I'm surprised that I didn't turn him completely away from vegetables when I look back at how anal I was about it all. But somewhere along the way he turned into this veggie loving boy! I can only hope the same will happen to Hyrum.....
Though I have changed some eating habits lately, I still didn't follow my sons example in getting a salad. Yes, I ordered the fattening chicken alfredo pasta....but hey it did have broccoli and mushrooms in it.....which brings me to this post.
Brigham saw a perfectly round mushroom in my dish and said, "What is that?" I told him it was a mushroom. He immediately said, "EWWWWWW!" Before I could respond he asked me, "Is that a real mushroom or did it come out of a log?" As I was laughing and trying to hurry and write what he said on a piece of paper in my purse (for the blog of course!) he asked again, "Where did they get that mushroom?" I don't know if I ever even answered his question....guess it is time to get off this blog and talk to my child about the mushrooms we buy in the store and the ones that grow in good ol' humid Oklahoma.

1 comment:

The Hills said...

Mushrooms grow like CRAZY here in Oregon!!! We have had pink ones grow behind our apartments and red, brown, yellow and white ones grow out front. The kids know to stay away because some are poisonous. Let me tell you that I am so grateful all my kids love their veggies. I just introduced them to jicama and they loved it! I let them pick things out once in awhile to try, it helps them know what they like better. Squash, zucchini and tomatoes are their favorites! Potatoes, not so much. And one of them didn't like tomatoes until she tried grape tomatoes. We planted a grape tomato plant last year and the kids would steal them off of the plant! Just keep trying new things and have fun with it!