Thursday, July 28, 2016

1992

My Dad went out to Wisconsin a few weeks ago to spend some time with Grandpa and Grandma Beck.  Auntie Linda flew in from Washington to be there also.  

My Dad seems to go out there every year here lately.  It is a good example to me that time is short here on Earth with the ones we love.  Though I do believe in an afterlife, when we lose someone to death it can still hurt very much.  Odd, if you think about it.  If you are a believer in the afterlife, we should all rejoice at one's passing.  They are in a much better place than this world.  But we don't.  We grieve.  And depending on how close we were to that person, we can grieve a lot.  I have a friend who's daughter just lost her boyfriend to death.  How do you separate what you know in your heart and what you desperately miss here on Earth?  I feel so bad for my friend who has to watch her daughter go through this.  

But like I usually do, I'm off subject.

While my Dad and Auntie were out there, they helped get my Grandparent's house cleaned out.  They ran across this little gem ;)  I had written this to my Great Grandparents (Grandpa Beck's Mom and Step-Dad) in 1992.  It's still making me smile even as I type this.  Oh, how it screams the 90's!  The neon colors.  The "D-R-O-P" a few lines (all my friends were writing notes like this to each other).  When I used to write in cursive (before autocorrect, as you can clearly see).  When I was so excited to be cheerleader again.  My obsession with cats.

 And then there were the pictures!
 I should have laughed at the hair right away.  Or noticed how blue my eyes used to be.  Or how I used to wear jewelry all the time.  The tucked in shirt.  When was the last time I tucked in a shirt?!  But what I noticed right away was the jeans!  No, not the pleats (Why was that cool, again?!).  Nope, it was Rocky Mountain brand that I was so proud to wear.  Some of my friends wore those almost every day.  I guess I wanted to be like them.
And then there was this gem.  Ha!  Ronald's smile, mine and Amanda's hair (her "wings" and my fuzzy perm), and April's sailor bow.  

Oh, the 90's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great! Great memories, I am still amazed at how much Brigham looks like Ronald ")