Sunday, October 18, 2015

Hearing the Spirit of God

Last night, as I was leaving Macey's grocery store, I thought I heard the Holy Ghost tell me to ask a lady if she and her sons needed a ride.  She was sitting on a bench with her 3 young boys.  She looked to be on her phone and not to be in great need.  The boys were well behaved and just sitting there like nothing was wrong.  I kept walking but not far before I turned around.  At that point she looked as if she was wiping a tear from her eye.  I wasn't sure.  Wasn't sure if she really needed my help.  Wasn't sure if it was really the Spirit that was telling me to talk to her or if it was just my mind (something I often have a hard time discerning).  The thought to help her was so silent.  I could barely hear it.

A great lesson was learned last night.

I turned my cart around and asked her if she and her boys needed a ride somewhere.  In her very broken English, I soon learned that she had been waiting there for 2 hours, not knowing what to do.  Not knowing how to get to her destination.  She and her children had taken a bus and didn't know where to go from there.  When I asked her where she needed to go, she told me Washington Terrace.  What is the likelihood that this woman and her children would need a ride to
Washington Terrace?  The place where I live.  A place with only 1 gas station, no Post Office, no Police Station, no grocery stores, and the list goes on.   

I smiled at her and told her that I lived in Washington Terrace and would love to give her and her sons a ride.  As we were driving to Washington Terrace, I was trying to figure out where she needed to go.  She knew it was a LDS church but that was about it.  Even though Washington Terrace is small, it still is in Utah which means lots of LDS churches!  But as her son was translating for her, I remembered a certain church that I was pretty sure had a Spanish speaking branch that met there.  I told her about this location and what it was near and she got all excited that she was pretty sure it was the place.  I drove her there and all was well.

But such a powerful lesson was taught to me as I was pulling away from the entrance of that church.  I kept thinking, "I barely heard the Holy Ghost tell me to ask this lady and her children if they needed a ride."  I was instantly repentant.  The only way I would ever hear the voice of the Lord, through the Holy Ghost, would be if I live the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  If I am busy with pointless things, I will never hear His will.  I am so grateful that the Lord loves me enough to give me these wake up calls.

1 comment:

rose bass said...

That's an Awesome story! Love it when we can recognize the Spirit, then listen followed by Doing! ")