Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Conference Weekend

On Friday, Helen came up to stay with us for the night.  I didn't tell the boys so that they could be surprised.  Last week I surprised Brigham by getting him out of school early so that we could get his hair cut and get a treat.  So I though it would be perfect for Hyrum to be the one taken out of school early so that he could come with me to pick up Helen at the  UTA FrontRunner station (commuter rail train).   He was excited just to be checked out of school so when I told him we were going to pick up Grandma, he was bursting with joy.  He has always loved his Grandma Helen.  I think it is because she takes the time to just listen to him talk...and if you just wait, trust me, he will talk your ear off.
 So after we picked her up, we went to lunch at Kneaders.
 The next day was the beginning of General Conference.  The picture above looks like our house is trashed but really Hyrum was getting a fort put together.  It is amazing to me the imagination of a child and then even more so what that particular imagination of the moment leads to.  Somehow he talked Grandma into pulling on this airplane (Baby Boy's toy) as he quickly tries to make his way from one end of the fort to the other.  He wanted her to see if she could get his head, with the airplane, while he was crawling under the fort.  They did that over and over until there was success and then she told him that they had to stop so that they could listen to conference.  
Like this picture portrays, for the most part Conference was very peaceful.  The boys do better and better each year.

As always, Elder Holland's talk stood out.  That man is the best speaker in the world, I'm telling you.  Every time he speaks I know he is speaking of something that he knows to be true.  So I listen.  I listen really hard.  I love this man so very much.

But a talk given by Elder Durrant really struck David and I.  He challenged us to do two things.  1)  To save money each week.  2) To start ponderizing scriptures.
Our family decided, last night at Family Home Evening, that we would start to ponderize a new scripture each week.  We will decide on a new scripture each week and put it on the fridge, think about it throughout the week and then discuss it at the following F.H.E.

For me personally, I needed to be reminded the importance of truly keeping the Sabbath Day holy.  I can't even remember the man's name who spoke of it but it had a lasting impression.  The Sabbath Day should be different from the rest.  I'm good at that to an extent.  But I want to be better.  Much better, actually.  I want to be better about getting to church on time so that I can focus on the Sacrament.  I want to start thinking of the Sacrament before I even get to church.  I want to go over, with Heavenly Father, what I need to repent of BEFORE I get to church.  I thought this man bringing up the latter thing to be very important for parents of young children.  It is very hard to concentrate during the Sacrament part of the meeting when you have little ones.  But if I do it before I get there, somewhere in my home alone, it can be done.

1 comment:

bassfamilypond said...

conference was great Huh? I love the renewal of being obedient! I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE!!!