Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Uchtdorf's Message

Saturday was the General Women's Meeting for the women/girls of the church.  I went to the broadcast and had a hard time concentrating, to be honest.  Well, until President Uchtdorf spoke.  I think most people will say what stood out the most is his analogy of the rain pooring down on us and how it can be like Heavenly Father and how He sends us blessings.  Yet, sometimes we get out our umbrella's and block those many blessings that He wants us to receive.  It was a great visualization of just how much our Father in Heaven really wants to make our lives easier here on Earth.  That His commandments are not to push us away from happiness, or what we think will bring us happiness in this world.  He knows best and He knows what will bring true joy.

Yes, that was a great lesson tool but something tugged at my heart so much more.  He said, "Do you suppose it matters to our Heavenly Father whether your makeup, clothes, hair, and nails are perfect? Do you think your value to Him changes based on how many followers you have on Instagram or Pinterest? Do you think He wants you to worry or get depressed if some un-friend or un-follow you on Facebook or Twitter? Do you think outward attractiveness, your dress size, or popularity make the slightest difference in your worth to the One who created the universe?
“He loves you not only for who you are this very day, but also for the person of glory and light you have the potential and the desire to become.
“More than you could ever imagine, He wants you to achieve your destiny — to return to your heavenly home in honor.”

I am so passed looking pretty all the time.  I have been for quite some time now.  It took some life changing events to make me realize that makeup, my weight, my clothes... only make me feel better when it is exactly the way that I picture it should be.  What I picture it should be is not even close to what Heavenly Father actually cares about.   I'm so grateful President Uchtdorf addressed this issue that so many women deal with.  We are our own worst enemies most of the time and that is so sad.  I know I have been guilty of it.  But progress has been made and I pray that it continues.


1 comment:

The Bass Family Pond said...

Alisa, I loved his talk also and the points you mentioned were great but I got some other points from his talk that I will share in my own blog. but, thank you for reminding me of this. It is so important that when we hear from our Prophet and General Authorities that we go and do and live as we should. Love you and thanks again. ")