Thursday, September 11, 2014

Friends of Brigham

 I worry sometimes that Brigham puts more effort into his friend relationships than he does with his brothers.  But I also know that I was the same way as a child.  My friends have always been very important to me.  So much so that some of them have truly felt like family to me and I have treated them as such.  So, I can see where he gets it from but I still worry.  I guess I just want him to have just as good as a relationship with his 2 brothers as I see David with his.  

But I do love Brigham's love for his friends.  He defends them.  He wants them around all the time (which means a houseful of boys most of the time).  And he's just a good friend. 

The other day I was volunteering in Brigham's class and this boy came up to me and said, "Brigham is a good friend."  Not, "Hello, my name is David and I'm Brigham's friend."  I was so proud of Brigham in that moment for two reasons.  First, because he obviously had enough impact on this boy's life that he would come up to me and say that before I was even put to work in the class.  Second, because this boy is Black.  If there is a kid of color in any of his classes, it never fails that that child becomes close friends with Brigham.  There have been times that I have had more Indian, Hispanic, and Black children in my house than White and that is not an exaggeration! 

Moving around has definitely exposed my children to different races and culture.  For that, I am very grateful for all our crazy moves.  I love that my children don't show signs of prejudice.  When they were little, if I saw a person or family in a store that was obviously from a different country or culture, I would walk up to them with my children and ask them questions.  I know that sounds odd and honestly at times it was uncomfortable but I wanted my boys exposed.  And I think I know why I did that.

I will never forget the first time I walked past a group of young black boys, them trying to get my attention, and me quickly walking away because I was uncomfortable.  I didn't voice this situation for years because I felt I was being prejudice.  I was ashamed.  

Years later, I told my friend Bin and his response was, "Prejudice is only the fear of the unknown."  It is a moment in my life that I will never forget.  We all get uncomfortable at times around certain people, whether it be because they are of a different culture, race, personality type, religion...even clothes that they have on can make someone uncomfortable.  But Bin taught me that it is really that we aren't used to it yet and that is ok.  It is only wrong when you treat them poorly because of it.

So, I'm proud of my Brigham.  He is my social butterfly and I'm grateful he was placed in my life.

2 comments:

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

I love that Lilly gets to go to a school that is ethnically/racially diverse as well. I think she is only one of the very few Caucasian kids in her class. Everyone else is Hispanic or African American. Even her teacher is Hispanic. I love that she doesn't see color or race. Oh and her school is working on making the entire school a Spanish immersion school so she will be learning Spanish soon and I'm so excited about that.

Adams said...

I'm jealous Marie. I would love to have the boys learn Spanish at an early age.