Friday, September 12, 2014

So Blessed

I just got back from walking around the park that is right by the elementary school that the boys go to.  Usually I go to the gym but Brigham is home with strep throat and I didn't want to wander to far away if he needed me.

While I was out walking, some of the kids from the school were outside playing (it was around lunch time).  As I would circle around, I would search for Levi or Hyrum.  During my last lap I saw Hyrum and he was waving at me.  I waived back and felt like something might be wrong.  So I started walking toward him.  Sure enough, by the time I got to him I could tell he was close to tears.  He  told me that no one would play with him.  That, of course, will rip at any parent's heart.  

During the summer we got to know a few of the boys around our home and church that are his age and go to this school.  So I asked him about them.  Only one of those boys were there today and I guess he wouldn't play with him.  So I sat down with him and we just talked about his day, trying to distract him from thinking about not having anyone to play with.

When the whistle was blown and he went inside, I was reminded how very blessed I am.  I am blessed that my husband works hard and allows me to stay home so that I can be there for my children when they get sick and can't go to school.  Or when no one will play with them at school and I can just sit with them and talk with no time restrictions.  Or that the school is mindful enough that soon after I sat down with Hyrum outside, a teacher's aid was right next to us to make sure I was a parent.  Or that yesterday was September 11th and was reminded of the great country in which we live in.  So great that terrorists attacked us 13 years ago all because of their jealousy of our freedoms.  Or how I have a responsible son in Levi that I know that as he and Hyrum walk home from school today, that he will protect his brother.  I could just go on and on.  I am so blessed.

No comments: