Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Resurrection!

I love this picture but it makes me a little sad.  This is the last picture of Levi as a believing child of the Easter Bunny.  
Today at lunch, Levi said to me, "Mom, Brigham says that he thinks you and Dad are the Easter Bunny."  
I should back up a bit.  I don't tell my children that there is a Santa or that there is an Easter Bunny and so on.  I tell them about them and why Santa represents Jesus (my favorite book that I think explains it best to children is "I Believe In Santa Claus" by Diane G. Adamson) and why we have things like the Easter Bunny to remind us of Jesus' resurrection and so forth.  When they have asked me in the past if Santa and all the other mysterious holiday figures are real I just ask them if they believe they are real.  They have always answered yes and so I just follow up with, "Well, then that is all that matters."  So today, when I asked Levi that question he paused.  He then said, "I think that you and Dad are doing it."  Levi is so innocent.  It doesn't surprise me at all that Brigham figured it out before Levi did.  Even as a baby,  Brigham did things so much faster than Levi ever did.  So, I took Levi back into a bedroom and told him that he was right.  The look on his face still makes me sad!  Soon after he was crying softly and told me he had wished I hadn't told him that.  It made me feel so bad.  I told him that I was waiting for him to tell me that Daddy and I were the Easter Bunny before I actually told him.  He got a little more upset and told me, "But I only said that I think you and Dad are the Easter Bunny.  Not that I know!"  That broke my heart!  I guess he wasn't ready after all.
Later today when Brigham talked to Daddy about whether the Easter Bunny was real or not, he just thought it was all funny.  They couldn't have reacted any more differently!  Brigham informed me later that he knew that Santa wasn't real either then (again, laughing!) while Levi quickly told us that Santa was real!
 So, yesterday there was an Easter Egg Dive at our Herriman Rec Center.  Brigham has been so excited for this that he literally would get mad at us if we mentioned it throughout the week.  Not joking!  He said talking about it got him too excited!  
 Here we are with the masses!

Afterwards they got to have a free swim and they were in heaven.  
This morning our apartment complex (Monarch Meadows) had an Easter Egg hunt.  
Can I tell you how happy I am that all these other people are doing the Easter egg thing for us!
As we were leaving, David noticed a family coming towards where the hunt was.  Of course that makes you feel bad seeing little ones who just missed out on all the fun.  So we asked the boys if they wouldn't mind giving some of their eggs to the kids who didn't get any.  These are moments where I am so proud of my boys.  They didn't even hesitate!
Tonight Helen is coming over to watch the boys while David and I go on a date.  We told the older boys that they could help us set out the stuff for the "Easter Bunny" tonight (which they are super excited about - Levi is doing just fine now, by the way:).  Grandma will spend the night and tomorrow we will focus on the real meaning of Easter!  Charlene told me once that she does the "worldly" things on a separate day of the actual holiday so she can separate them from the real meaning for her children.  I have really tried to do that every since.  Tomorrow I will teach my 4/5 year old class about Jesus' resurrection, go home and have FHE with my family, Ronald and Hannah, and then have our Easter dinner.  I hope I remember throughout the day that because of our Savior, people in my life who have left us too soon (Shane) as well as those who got to live long lives (grandparents and church friends), I will get to see them again.  And they will have bodies....perfect ones!

2 comments:

Char said...

Ahhh, I got a shout out. The Easter Bunny still comes to our house on Saturday. I love that we keep Easter Sunday a reverent day without all that other stuff. Love you Alisa!

The Bass Family Pond said...

Loved the last several weeks, Spring Break, General Conf. and Easter all such great times and memories that I can't wait to blog about on my blog too. I just have time to enjoy my family and friends blogs. But, have so much to blog can't hardly wait. Love Ya!