Monday, March 28, 2011

We went on a Sunday Drive yesterday and found this! The boat is almost as big as the trailer! You know, growing up, I always thought it was sad to see trailers with these huge, nice pick up trucks in the drive. It seemed so important to a lot that you have a nice vehicle even if the home you are living in is falling apart and very small. Seeing this picture yesterday made me smile and laugh as I remembered never understanding this type of thinking growing up. But a little over a year ago, a couple of college friends of mine came to visit. One of the girls, Charlene, mentioned something like, " I really like how everyone here seems to not care about 'keeping up with the Jones' and just seems to be fine with what they have always had." I've thought about that a lot since living here and that is one of the qualities I really like now....the same thing I thought didn't make any since growing up. People out here may want something nice, like their vehicle, but for the most part they don't care. Put food on the table and have the chance to eat out every once in a while is good enough. And just as I was talking to my former boss (I'm home full time now!) over the weekend, her best memories with her husband and son was in that little trailer before they built their own house. When you are close because of lack of space, you kind of have to get to know each other. There are times when our very little house gets to me (mainly because I can't separate the kids when they are being rowdy) but I have to say that I feel secure in that I always know what they are doing.

When we were driving around yesterday Brigham wanted to know when we were ever going to go to the beach. He then said that he remembered going once. I tried to tell him that none of them had ever been to a beach when I heard Levi say to Brigham, "No. That memory you have is not it." Brigham replies with, "No. I have a good brain." Man they are cute!

Speaking of good brains. Today was my parent teacher conference with Hyrum's teacher. She told me of how proud she was of him. She said that he is the only child in the class that can recognize numbers 1-9 by sight! He can count past that but I guess it is pretty impressive that he recognizes the shapes of the numbers as well.

Now, if we could only get him to recognize that he is pooping in his underwear.......

1 comment:

Char said...

Ryan and I have lived in a lot of different places. There have been times when money has been tighter than other times. Through it all, we were happy. We aren't any happier now than we were when we were just married. Its all perspective. Things don't make us ultimately happy. I LOVE that picture by the way! Good luck with potty training.