Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cereal for dinner anyone?

The kids have been out of school because of the "Arctic weather" which means lots of lazy time around here. And you know what laziness can do to moods...David and I found ourselves worrying about certain things that we can do nothing about and in the end getting irritated with one another.
I went to the store before dinner to get some lasagna noodles and ended up just taking my time to have a little alone time. By the time I got home it was getting a little too late to be just starting on lasagna. Hyrum was following my every move because I had brought home some Trix cereal and wanted a few handfuls of it. David and I have never done this before but we thought, what the heck! Why not have cereal for dinner. It made me think of my friend, Brittany, and her realization that it is ok to not be the "perfect" mother. That sometimes hard days come and you do what you have to do to stay sane and most importantly, that is ok. It turned out to be the funnest thing. We called the kids into the kitchen and said, "You can have whatever you want for dinner...I don't care if it is a can of olives...YOU PICK!" So they ended up with a few bowls of cereal, ravioli, black olives, and GoGurts. I laughed at all the "that's disgusting" comments that David made and enjoyed all the many compliments from Brigham about how this was the best meal ever! The feeling was still in the air after David cleaned up and so off to the living room we went to play Tip It and a Memory game. I think our evening turned out quite nice after all.

5 comments:

Sari said...

You are so stinkin' cute! You are a great mom for just feeding your kids and not letting them starve. :)We have cereal for breakfast and lunch sometimes. It's GOOD! We've been hearing about your crazy weather and wish we had more snow like you!!! We miss you and David and the boys and hope to meet up with you again someday...

Char said...

Tell me you've at least had waffles or pancakes for dinner! I love breakfast foods for dinner. Its so easy and everyone loves it.

Mary said...

Seriously have done cereal many nights for dinner. Welcome to the "dark" side. HE hE HE.

The Hills said...

We often have breakfast for dinner. It just makes things more fun. It also allows for us to some foods that we don't get very often. Like one of the most popular in my home, the egg bake. It takes time (about an hour) and I don't always feel up to making it for breakfast, so occasionaly we have it for dinner.

I applaud you for being totally normal!

brittany doll said...

I love you!! At least none of our kids are starving.