Sunday, April 5, 2020

When I Realized I Do Something Because of Her

Grandma has been on my mind today.  Actually, a lot this week.  In one of my classes, we are going over the importance Grandparents has in someone's life.  A few things here and there has gotten my attention that has made me think of her this week.  But I'll focus on one.

A few days ago I was putting together my online Wal-Mart pick up order.  I'm going through my list of things I need for the upcoming days when I remember General Conference is coming up.  I always get junk food for this occasion.  First thing that comes to my mind is Bugles chips and spray cheese in a can.  Every conference we have this as one of our snacks.  And then it hits me.  Its one of those times that I realize that I do something because of Grandma.  And before I know it, I find myself crying but smiling at the same time.

When Hyrum was around 2-3 years old, we were living in Oklahoma.  Grandma and Grandpa would watch him sometimes.  There are 2 things that I remember Grandma doing with him that sticks out.  One, she would always give him a Hershey's Kiss whenever she needed to change his diaper.  The other was taking a Bugles Chip and filling the hole up with spray cheese, making it look like a mini ice cream cone.  The second one is the one David and I took with us in our own home after seeing it.  But after a while, we stopped doing it so often and only bought the stuff for the mini ice cream cones every six months when it was time for General Conference.

I wonder if she even knew that we do this every conference.  Because of her.



"We must teach our youth to draw close to the elderly grandpas and grandmas. We live now in troubled times. In the lifetime of our youth, the troubles will never be less and will certainly be more. Old folks offer a sure knowledge that things can be endured."  -Boyd K. Packer
(A quote from my Family Relations class this week)

No comments: